Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Twisselman hatched hen that I ended up with when she was 14. I never got any chicks out of her, but I got some grandchildren, I still have one grand daughter that will be ten years old this year. I have a great, great grandson of her that will be seven years old this year.
Most of my current blacks go back to her in some way.
2014 troyer 61 - Copy.jpg

Same cockerel. When he was younger his tail never came up the way it is now. I'm not sure what will happen with it, but he's staying for now. He is the cleanest standard black Cubalaya I have hatched and raised here on the farm. Broody raised cockerel, his mother is a spitfire with chicks, not person mean, but all cats had better give her a wide berth when she has small chicks. Even our two chihuahuas knew to detour when that hen and her chicks showed up in their view. I have two sisters from the same hatch that will stay.
I recently noticed two gold hackle feathers, but he's too good to not keep. Eyes are a tad dark but he's got multiple spurs and a nice red face. Someone mentioned that he looks like he has Sumatra in him. Based on what I was told about his sire he doesn't have. The sire line was severely inbred before my line was added to it. Most of them had dark eyes, not the red bay that a Cubalaya is supposed to have. I have hens he can be bred to, to get red bay eyes.
IMG_1514.JPG
IMG_1244.JPG

I think it can be pretty automatic to think of a small wattled, dark, long tailed bird as being sumatra like. We're used to seeing a black sumatra, not a black cubalaya.
If he did have sumatra in him he would have to be generations away from that breeding. He doesn't have the Sumatra chest, the Sumatra body length or back length, and does not have the typical Sumatra tail length and shape. His spurs look round and he doesn't color out mulberry in his face.
I've found that dark eyes are easy to correct and the offspring readily take on red bay color.
As far as finding a couple of gold feathers, I would take that trait over battling the dreaded white feathers any time.

Back
Top Bottom