Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

White cubalaya pullet with her Brazilian buddy

Attachments

• 20220803_163316.jpg
    20220803_163316.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 5
These are really beautiful cockerels.
I am looking for a good color solid black male to go over 2 black hens:
One is a large iridescent black shamo hen with black beak and legs. Her grandfather was a good type white shamo.
The other all black female is good size from GaNoi/Cubalaya parents. She has wheaten in her background as well as white and blue. Her black is a dull black and also has a downward tail.

My neighbor has some extra cubalayas he got from sandhill preservations and I could get a rooster and hen from him for cheap. I don’t think I’d want to put them in with my non game chickens. I have a 2 story A-frame coop that’s like 4x6. Is that big enough for a pair of cubalaya? Would I need to let them out a lot or would they be content in that setup? I just don’t know anything about the breed

My neighbor has some extra cubalayas he got from sandhill preservations and I could get a rooster and hen from him for cheap. I don’t think I’d want to put them in with my non game chickens. I have a 2 story A-frame coop that’s like 4x6. Is that big enough for a pair of cubalaya? Would I need to let them out a lot or would they be content in that setup? I just don’t know anything about the breed
They seem to do best free range, but your setup should work. Being Sandhill birds they are probably okay just being in the pen. There are some lines that don't do well in confinement. Genetics play a big part in it, what I mean by that is this: If the parents were used to being confined then their offspring will likely do okay with it. If the parents have been free ranged most of their lives (just penned up for breeding) you will probably get some that don't do well with confinement.

I will answer your question on here. Yes, my hens have pinkish feet with blue tinge like the bird you pictured. My cocks have white legs, no blue. Out of all the chicks i raise, i still get a couple males with yellow legs and an occasional pyle colored male. I used to keep one yellow leg hen because their tails were so nice

Back
Top Bottom