Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

I got to admit I'm way behind on reading this thread but since I had the camera out today I thought I'd post a few pics of my bantam Cubalayas. Most are this year's hatch but I haven't culled through them yet.

Thanks for posting Vcomb, I enjoyed the pics. Where are your birds from?
I'm thinking I might have to go with the bantams vs the standard. I really want to know what any of you could tell me on choosing, is one better than the other? I'm vegan, so the eggs and meat have no bearing on my decision.
Thanks,

I've never had the largefowl so I can't say which is better. I got a pair at a local auction several years ago as a project for my little cousin but that didn't last long. I like quite a bit about the bantams though, small, active, seem to be fairly hardy (watch it if it gets real cold but where you are in TN I think you'd be fine.) Some lay really well but some I've had didn't lay very well at all. Hens will scrap with each other a bit if you introduce new ones. All of these go back to 2 pair I got from Zook a few years back, still have 2 males and 1 female out of those originals so most of these are offspring of them.

I got to admit I'm way behind on reading this thread but since I had the camera out today I thought I'd post a few pics of my bantam Cubalayas. Most are this year's hatch but I haven't culled through them yet.
Nice birds, looks like you've got some spangles in there.

I got to admit I'm way behind on reading this thread but since I had the camera out today I thought I'd post a few pics of my bantam Cubalayas.

I didn't even know they came as bantams. My (presumed to be) Large Fowl Cubalayas are pretty small to start with.
One looks like your girls, the other like troyers Splash Red above. I'm talking coloring, not quality
wink.png

Peep laid another egg today.

Bruce

@ troyer - yep there are some spangles. They originate out of one of the Zook males I got that was spangled.

@ cubalaya - the hen in the center is a spangle with a lot of white and some solid white feathers in her. I'm holding back the ones that have smaller/better formed spangling, but it seems to be unevenly spread through the body (heaviest markings are in the head and hackles)

@bruceha - The bantams are pretty hard to come by which is why I ended up holding onto them. Met a guy a few years ago in Michigan who said he hadn't seen bantam Cubalayas that were unrelated to his in years. (he made his.) I still think these are a little bit on the big side and most largefowl I've seen were what I figured to be on the small side.

Back
Top Bottom