Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Funny that the subject of protein has come up. Our animals are taking turns picking at two deer skeletons from last weekend. I hope they're pretty self regulating!

I think they are self regulating. I raised a couple of sebrights in my large brooder because I did not have an extra pen for them. It is darker in the brooder and they have less room to move. The two birds in the brooder eat about 1/4 the amount of the sebrights that are in the pen and they look to be in better health. They have a one gallon free feeder that is filled with 18% Nature Wise starter grower and it will last them from 3 weeks to a month even with a cup full or two being wasted. Personally, I think it is six of one or half dozen of the other. Higher protein feeds will cause them to eat less and lower protein feeds will cause them to eat more.

Thanks JE. Simultaneous with the protein bonanza we cleaned the freezer and set out some steel cut oats and old flour too. They do seem to be spending most of the day in play or dusting, not eating.

How serious a defect is light colored shafting in wheaten hens? Or is it just part of the cinnamon color? I have never showed before and was wondering - judge just wrote "shafting"on the card.

Last edited:
With all the other issues we are all trying to address, it caught me by surprise. Not even tops of my list of flaws with that particular bird.

The judge seemed to enjoy her, holding her up and fanning her tail for another judge in the next row. A cockerel of cubalaya's that we showed was reserve AOSB large fowl. The Sumatra hen that beat him was stunning.

i have a black hen that has light color shafts in the feathers of her chest. probably won't keep her but not a serious fault to me. good to hear that bird got reserve AOSB.

That 3 year old white still has 4-6" of blood feather to de sheath. Bathing him 5x before the show was tedious for both of us. He seemed to enjoy the soak and some de-sheathing of feathers. He stood patiently for the blow dryer twice.

The white cock has been a gem. This past spring he proceeded to brood a clutch of 2 week old chicks whose hen abandoned them. The big new cockerel is following him around learning the job. I think he has seen enough young turks come and go to know he can't take this young one. One of his sons, owned by (BYC name) Cap Blood, was trying to interest the hens in setting by brooding eggs for a week last spring. These boys make awesome sires and flock "brains".

wow, he turned out good. is he still nice? my best looking one is mean as he can be. i have a younger one, full brother to yours that is looking better and better.

I've culled some hot heads but these fellows are sweet as butter.The pictures above were taken just Sunday, while they were still pretty clean after showing.

My concern with a started cockerel was that he manage to integrate with the white cock. I got lucky, they seem to be doing well. I have some youngsters who will need re homed, one of which appears like the BBR's twin brother. He hatched from your eggs.

I have a cockerel pen started. In other news one of the black pullets went broody hard and serious. I let her have just 5 eggs. She is in a grow out box with small attached run. If she hatches them and we get a cold snap I'll throw a heat lamp out there.

Her daily break is an amazing spectacle. She explodes out of the run squawking, flies 50 feet across the yard, 12' in the air, and comes crashing into wherever the flock has gathered. Gorges on food, poops, drinks and goes back to the nest in minutes.

Yup Jimmy, he's still really tame. I had to go to a Girl Scout campout Saturday after the show. I could only fit one cage in my mom's car to send home, so these two went to camp. After this pic I picked the cockerel up, closed the hen in the cage and gave a little talk. I showed around 30 kids how to rub his belly. I explained you don't pet their back because that makes them think you're a predator. He is trained to ride on my arm, and crows with a little encouragement. I swear he enjoyed being the star attraction.

As I said Jimmy, I think we all have more important concerns. The judges seemed to really enjoy that cockerel you gave us!

Tail angle and spread are still #1. Remind me again cubalaya, what month was he born?

thumbsup.gif
That is quite impressive!
thumbsup.gif
Good for you!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom