Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

looks very nice. hatching season is only a month or two away. i can't wait to see this years bb reds. i have a black cubalaya stag with minimal red in the hackle that has very good type and may finish about 7 lbs. i have a gold duckwing stag that looks promising, tall, rangy but good tail and color. very tame. i think he will fill out this year. also have a red pyle stag that is stunning. will post some pics soon.

Checked the incubator about 1/2 an hour ago and had 2 Wheaten chicks, sitting there looking at me! More pipped so we had a run to the hatcher, all hands on deck kind of thing! More peeping in their shells but will move later this evening, It was rather unexpected and I'm hoping for good hatch. Obviously I was off a few days on my calendar. Last night when I checked, not a single air cell had been breached.
barnie.gif

Ain't that the way it always is? The real keeper gets sick, gets caught by predators, or is messed up in the head. LOL. You have just described my chicken yard.
I feel this falls into the category of " The one that got away". It seems every time I start thinking a bird is promising looking and may be my best yet, it will get eaten. I have waited a while to hatch a really nice BBR. Several hatched this spring and each month I would look them over and eliminate the ones that were not quite good enough. This goes on for 6 months and I get down to the last one and he is beautiful. I am so happy. The week before I decide to move him into his own breeding pen, I go out of town for the day. I get home and one of my dogs broke into his pen and killed him. Doesn't help that the other roosters that were not quite good enough were left alive and well.

So I end this hatching season with 3 pullets that are good enough to move forward and no cockerels. I just know that the one that died, was my perfect rooster, just like the fish that got off the hook was this ............................................................................................................................... big!

Lanae

Should end up with a 10 pack of Cuban chicks today. Three more out overnight. Five in the brooder, all pipped and peeping in the hatcher!
The dark chick is a bantam Blue Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom