Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Ended up with a fine hatch of 12 LF Wheaten Cubans. (2 not in brooder pic, still fluffing up in hatcher). Have noticed some have yellow down and some white. Could this indicate sex?

Nope. Should all have white down; the yellow one's are either another color that was hidden under the Wheaten or it shows other than Cubalaya blood.

Most folks that grade are not too particular as to cull based on down color. Technically, you should if you want to produce a line that is as every bit Cubalaya as any straight bred line, but most don't go that far.

mrandrmrschicken where did you get your cubalaya?
You know, I can't recall where they came from. these are actually eggs from a 4-her. I am on our counties poultry committee, and the poor kid has tried two batches and not a bird hatched. So he got me 20 eggs and after sorting through duds and stoppers, had a super hatch in my opinion. He has 3 pullets and 1 cockerel, almost a year. I think the birds simply had not reached maturity. I suggested he increase the protein and make sure the male has plenty of sunshine. that seemed to help in this case. I am thinking that maybe the yellow will fade but not sure. I hate to cull before I see how they develop over the next month or so. I will ask the young man, where they came from and let you know. The only other bird in with them is a Wyandotte and there is no sign of offspring from her. She lays a different egg that they sort out.

My Wheaton Cubalayas that originally come from Sandhill 3 years ago vary in down color from white to pale yellow. Some of the white chicks are actually recessive white. IMO with all of the grading ( crossbreeding ) that was and is done with this breed, I would not cull according to down color . There are so many other faults to contend with.

I had a couple questions. My SH Cubas are 12 weeks old now and I had a couple questions.

I have a white pullet that Is nice sized but has slate colored legs. Any chance that will change? If not, should she be culled?

I have a BBR cockerel that is the biggest and has the best tail in width and length. He has a small amount of what I would call spangling across his body. Is that common and will it go away as he ages?

Thanks in advance.

The slate colored legs are common in the whites; no it will not go away.

The spangling in the BBRs is also common especially in the males; yes, it should completely disappear.

I would not cull the white; it might turn out to be the best one. Bred back to a white with white legs and you'll get some of both.

I agree with Saladin. The spangling goes away with maturity. I hatched quite a few with slate legs this year. I didn't cull against it but, in future generations it will have to go.

My Wheaton Cubalayas that originally come from Sandhill 3 years ago vary in down color from white to pale yellow. Some of the white chicks are actually recessive white. IMO with all of the grading ( crossbreeding ) that was and is done with this breed, I would not cull according to down color . There are so many other faults to contend with.
What I would do is leg band the white chicks with one color band and then the yellow chicks with another color band. As they grow you will be able to identify who hatched white or yellow. As adults you will then be able to tell if the chick down is an indicator of adult plumage and to what degree.

Just my thought. I leg band everything when it hatches and make notes about each chick so that I can easily identify what traits in adults may be indicated in chick down.

I have BBR araucana and sadly none of mine have ever hatched white. They are all cream yellow to gold. The gold ones tend to be too dark as adults.

Lanae

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom