Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

But at 10lbs they're a beast plus the tail feathers I think it'll look elegant and scary
Why use a Sumatra then? Since a Sumatra does not weigh as much as a Cubalaya (at least those that are per the Standard). A Sumatra often looks heavier, but they are really nothing but a bag of feathers.

Cubalayas are also extremely broody. You don't need to introduce Sumatra blood to get that.

Last edited:
i still don't understand your project. are you improving an existing breed or just crossing a bunch of chickens to get a mix breed? there are so many rare breeds that need breeders. rare breeds of chicken need breeders that breed to the standard, breed for production, and breed for overall health . find a breed and stick with it. there are already 10 lbs beasts out there. 6 lbs cocks and 4 lbs hens don't eat as much feed. this is one reason why i like cubalayas and asil. they will also raise chicks as they are broody.

I completely agree with cubalaya. You are not going to find any encouragement from us when it comes to 'making' another new breed. To start with it will take at least 8 years (read that generations) to get anything stabilized. (Which means if you haven't gone 8 generations on the other cross you mentioned then regardless of how many 16 lb roosters you have: which I don't believe by the way: you haven't got anything but a cross that is still to unstable to be called a 'new' anything.
Secondly, to get something new into the Show Standard takes a minimum of $500, and 50 birds shown at one time by at least 5 different breeders who will sign affidavits that they have bred the particular breed for 5 years before the breed can be accepted. Further, it still has to pass the judges on that one show of 50 too.
So, we are talking 8 years to stabilize plus 5 years further under 5 breeders: the last time I counted that is 13 years you have ahead of you.

That is just a couple of reasons I personally think it is a waste of time and energy; though cubalaya had the best reason of all.

Last edited:
During some of my online research I ran across this in an obituary for Mr. Stromberg:

"Mr. Urch said. Stromberg’s was the source for Cubalayas from an original Cuban line. “They were a lot better than they are nowadays,” he said."

I was wondering if those with a better historical perspective might know what line he's referring too. Might this be what Urch is breeding now?

During some of my online research I ran across this in an obituary for Mr. Stromberg:

"Mr. Urch said. Stromberg’s was the source for Cubalayas from an original Cuban line. “They were a lot better than they are nowadays,” he said."

I was wondering if those with a better historical perspective might know what line he's referring too. Might this be what Urch is breeding now?
Both Stromberg and Urch were in the business of selling birds. (Urch still is). Of course, Urch is going to make such a statement.... he is trying to sell birds.
Now, I'm not saying there isn't truth to his statement. Back in the 80s, Schmudde, Rice, Courson and Castignetti had some great birds. Those were the birds winning in those days. Today, a few of us have really brought the Cubalaya back (Brush, Rose, Zook, 'Mont', and I've won a few AOSB classes too). Are they what they use to be? I guess that depends on who you ask. I think we are close if not there..... though I wouldn't yet say better.... but give us time!

I wasn't trying to stir anything, I was more interested in the former part of the quote as I had never heard Mr. Stromberg's name in regards to the early US history of Cubas. I was interested in what this "direct Cuban line" was and what became of it.

Oh, I didn't take it that way at all. (That's the bad thing about boards. Your not always sure how people are 'taking' your post).

Whether that is the line Urch is selling now or not I don't know. Funny thing, to me, about that quote is the fact that all Cubalaya lines were direct imports at one time or another. Again to me, the when of the import doesn't mean that much; excepting now of course. Now, the birds coming from Cuba would be next to nothing and far less than what we have today in the States.

Back
Top Bottom