Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Everything should be fine so long as there is plenty of space.

Perfect.

I would think more to use silkies or cochin for broody hens

I know they're supposed to be the best broody breed but I find them SO unappealing so I've been exploring the options....one of them being game hens which led me to read about Cubalayas. Perhaps I'm on the wrong track? Good thing I'm a planner ;)

Thanks,
M

to answer your other question, I utilized a cubalaya hen last year to raise some asil chicks. asils are the best broodies but cubalayas do very well.

Hi All: To all who posted here, I have just spent a week of spare time reading ALL the posts on this thread. I want to take time to say "THANK YOU" to everyone for the great information shared here. I made plenty of "notes" for myself to read again and again until it is in my mind strongly.Thanks for all of the wonderful photos too.I really love my Cubalayas ! They came from Bill"oldhound"(Fl.), and some came from Vaughn"jungleexplorer"(TX.), and one pair I am about to get by post in a day or 2 from Jonathan A.Troyer(PA.) . I intend to put the info gained here to work in my flocks in an ongoing effort to improve the breed as much as I am able to do considering my age(68) and my health(poor).I also plan to continue to learn!! Wayne.

Hi All: To all who posted here, I have just spent a week of spare time reading ALL the posts on this thread. I want to take time to say "THANK YOU" to everyone for the great information shared here. I made plenty of "notes" for myself to read again and again until it is in my mind strongly.Thanks for all of the wonderful photos too.I really love my Cubalayas ! They came from Bill"oldhound"(Fl.), and some came from Vaughn"jungleexplorer"(TX.), and one pair I am about to get by post in a day or 2 from Jonathan A.Troyer(PA.) . I intend to put the info gained here to work in my flocks in an ongoing effort to improve the breed as much as I am able to do considering my age(68) and my health(poor).I also plan to continue to learn!! Wayne.
Too bad there's no "like" button.

jat, you can use the ovation botton. thumbs up.
bekisar, I think you will have some very good bb reds. this hobby of raising and breeding cubalayas will keep you young.

Re: southernmomma. I really like my cubalaya broodies. I have had a pair of hens co-brood successfully but wouldn't bank on it. They were raised together and were very close as pullets. As mature hens I now separate them. They will hatch other breeds just fine, an egg is an egg to them. If you want a broody who will raise several clutches a year you might try an asil or other game hen. I can't bring myself to acquire those fluff ball broodies. I like to see a momma hen who teaches the chicks survival skills by running, flying and hunting actively.

Here's a photo of Urch male. I'm not sure how old he is exactly, all Urch could tell me is he is last year's hatch. He has a great temperament. Great with my kids and takes good care of his girls. He will literally bring them food and drop it at their feet and will let them take food from his mouth.

Another photo of my whole flock. The Zook hens are on the upper left and lower right. The dark one is my remaining Sandhill pullet (kept the best three and then lost two to a dog). The light ones are the Urch hens. The have molted and dropped their tail feathers. The one on the right is small and has a white wing feather. The other two are good sized and had pretty good tails although not like the Zook birds. As you can see, one is very dark in the hackle. Critiques are welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom