Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Okay a little pic heavy, what do y'all think? Please note the wind is REALLY strong so they were not the best models today, feathers were ruffled!

Is this bay?

My blue eyed girl with a longer beak

Blue with a shorter beak

Two of my Blue girls

Black and Red Plye

Last edited:
Okay a little pic heavy, what do y'all think? Please note the wind is REALLY strong so they were not the best models today, feathers were ruffled!

Is this bay?
His head is good enough to use him to breed, his eyes are a bit light but passable. I like the alert look in his eyes.

Blue with a shorter beak
I kinda like the blue eyed look.
smile.png
I personally would use her if she was the best hen in my flock, but breed her to your darkest red-eyed rooster you have and hatch a LOT of chicks to get as many as possible to select from. I know that not everyone can do this, but I hatched over 400 chicks each year in 2012 and 2013. From the 2012 hatch I ended up keeping only 7 as breeders. I still have 16 of the 2013 hatched chicks. I expect that number to drop by next spring to make room for better ones from this year. My 2013 breeding season went a lot better than I had even hoped for, so I have a lot better birds than 3 years ago. I can also recommend hatching in large numbers for a broader selection of good birds, but if you can't hatch 100 of them, then just simply do what you can. I won't be doing 400 this year as I don't need that many anymore to get a good selection.

Two of my Blue girls
Without question I like the front pullet's head better except for the wattles. If you don't want wattles on your roosters then don't breed from a hen that has wattles as she will most likely produce roosters with wattles, not 100% of them will have wattles but a lot of them will. The pullet in the back looks like she doesn't have wattles. I don't see any major fault with either one except the blue eyes.

Black and Red Plye
As you can see the red pyle also has wattles, but her head looks decent otherwise. If her tail is also high then it is good not to breed from her as she will pass that trait on to her offspring.

Thank you both. Troyer, did not know about the wattle thing, yep the red plye is out of the gene pool. Y'all are full of knowledge. I learn something new every time I get on the thread, thank you so much!

Current numbers after four weeks of hatching give us about 50 blacks, 50 bbreds, 40 whites(plus 89 Australorps). Somewhere between one third and a half of the whites are smokey chicks, so I will try to keep the clear white adults and not the grey speckley ones, also trying to get those grey chicks to stop getting blue legs. Last white eggs went into the incubator, and we already stopped the blacks. We should finish this year between three and four hundred chicks.(all breeds)

my last batch of cubalayas is hatching now. so far ; 5 blacks, 5 whites, 4 bb red and 2 gold duckwings. will put the incubator away until next feb. will try more hen hatching next year. this is my 4th incubation of 2014. have an asil hen sitting on some eggs and 2 more laying, getting ready to sit. should have a few new asil chicks in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom