Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Thanks for clarification. They are coming up on the chick schedule at the local feed supply and wanted to pick some up. Just haven't had the best of luck with white birds with the local predators.

Uh Oh ! Find out which hatchery they are coming from. Some hatcheries have Cubalayas that aren't very sturdy . You can go back in the posts here to find out which ones .

I had a great time Saturday morning ogling all of cubalaya's handsome birds. Almost talked myself into an asil cockerel, but heeded the warnings of my house sitter. I came home to all out broody chaos. I thought two were due to hatch their eggs today, but they began hatching Friday. Two cubalaya hens were fighting over the nest. Turns out both of these first time broodies enjoy setting but are sketchy on motherhood. They especially seem to dislike light colored chicks. So the rejected chicks are currently in with some week olds under a RIR hen. That hen seems to have so many she doesn't mind a few more.

I have the RIR now with 14 cubalaya chicks, a wheaten hen with 4, a black cuba hen with 4, and two more hens on eggs

Last edited:
I had a great time Saturday morning ogling all of cubalaya's handsome birds. Almost talked myself into an asil cockerel, but heeded the warnings of my house sitter. I came home to all out broody chaos. I thought two were due to hatch their eggs today, but they began hatching Friday. Two cubalaya hens were fighting over the nest. Turns out both of these first time broodies enjoy setting but are sketchy on motherhood. They especially seem to dislike light colored chicks. So the rejected chicks are currently in with some week olds under a RIR hen. That hen seems to have so many she doesn't mind a few more.

I have the RIR now with 14 cubalaya chicks, a wheaten hen with 4, a black cuba hen with 4, and two more hens on eggs

Wow you have your hands full!

Nice!
thumbsup.gif

a 5/8 cuba 1/4 asil 1/8 thai grade- too asil like but check out tail on her sister

3/4 cuba 1/4 thai hen-large and produced some nice 7/8 cuba grades

some 7/8 cuba 1/8 thai pullets

Back
Top Bottom