Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

OK, I spent a huge amount of time trying to get photos of some of my birds. The first is a cockerel that is about 9 weeks old. I believe that he has the best head of all my Cubalayas. However, he has a lot of white incorporated within his BBR coloring. Also he holds his tail higher than many of my others did at this age. Also, his personality is not as docile as the others.

Next is a pullet with a crow head (but every one of my pullets have this) and one of the better tails. I don't think her color is great, it is kind of smutty.

Is the cockerels head good enough to compensate for the pullet's weak one? How worried should I be about his color? Are the lobes of the pullets tail sufficiently developed for a 12 week old?

Sorry for so many questions. I am just trying to develop an "eye". I have studied the Standard and looked at many photos, but most pics are of older, more developed birds. It is hard to get a feel for the youngsters.

Early May hatch,grade blue to blue breeding. The vast majority of tails are held like the Splash cockerels hold their tails in the pictures.
Pea comb cockerel...

...cushion comb cockerel...

...cushion comb cockerel, tail is usually a bit higher...

...pea comb cockerel, tail is usually held a bit higher, but not above horizontal...

...cushion comb pullet, her tail is usually carried right at horizontal...

...pea comb pullet, her tail is usually carried right at horizontal...

...cushion comb pullet, normal tail carriage.

I like him
love.gif
Duck wings (that is what he is right?) are so stunning! I need to get pics up of the youngsters. The white boy is crowing his little heart out. The 2 black girls are calmer than the white ones.

He's a very handsome specimen Jimmy! I have just been busier than a one armed paper hanger. Got folks coming to buy some young cubalayas tomorrow. Gotta figure out who I can part with...

Back
Top Bottom