Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

thanks rachael and Barbara. I guess people are on facebook and not too much posting on here
Sorry, the business of life gets to me at times and I forget to check on here. I especially like the richness of his color and the obvious healthy look.
thumbsup.gif

Said goodbye to 4 birds today, sold them to friends. Still trying to decide if I regret parting with a black hen and black red cockerel, but I have way too many chicks that need room to grow.

My favorite from what I could see, with them being still fairly young is the BBred pullet with the wide low tail.

Yes Troyer, and she is one I sold. Her mother is very similar, but with a stronger head, and a prolific producer of consistent offspring. I sold the wild BBR pullet, a laying black pullet from last fall, a wheaten pullet and the black/red cockerel I was getting attached to. I was attached to all of them , but can't afford full blown chicken math.

What really is the difference between slate and black in the Cubalaya leg color? I prefer the black legs in the blacks, but the standard says they need to be slate. My question really is what's the difference? Is it possible to have slate and black combined or is all one color? The reason I'm asking is because I have some blacks coming up that have very black looking legs so I need to know the difference between the two if there is any. All the chicks pictured are from one set of parents (full siblings), except the very last picture.

This pullet is distantly related to the others and her legs are a very shiny black.

This is tiny Tim. He was a surprise rooster from the mystery bantam bin at the store. I was origionally told he was an EE bantam. I am not so sure. The only thing I agree on is the bantam part. He has white legs, very upright body posture, and a "primitive" raptor like face. Is he possibly a cubalaya bantam?

Just wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone. I still follow the thread and am happily working with my Cubas.

I am growing out my second generation which is a combination of my Urch cock over Zook and Sandhill hens. I have culled down to four cockerels and seven pullets that are showing promise. I got rid of my Urch cock after hatching several birds from him. He had decent color and type but was small 4lbs. Although I don't know how old he was so maybe he was still maturing but he put on little weight in the 6 months I had him. I kept one of the three Urch hens. She has heavy black in the hackle but has a decent tail and is close to 4 lbs. The Urch birds were ok all in all but are very crow headed and the males show heavy spangling.

My Sandhill hens were healthy and good size but had poor tails - lots of pinched and above horizontal. The males had issues with cushion combs and white in the lobes but again very healthy and nice sized. They have the size that is often lacking but need a lot of work on type. My Zook hens are beautiful yet rugged. I had one survive a brutal dog attack. She has permanent damage but somehow fought back enough to make it thru which is impressive.

These Cubas are a labor of love and I have enjoyed the challenge. Two observations that I would like input on. My Urch and Zook hens have the almost two tone wheaten color (darker hackle, lighter body) but my pure SH and SH cross hens are one color - dark brown with heavy black smut all over. Is that typical of the SH birds? Also, many of my hens have light lobes ( even the show quality Zook birds). Is that common across the breed as well?

This is tiny Tim. He was a surprise rooster from the mystery bantam bin at the store. I was origionally told he was an EE bantam. I am not so sure. The only thing I agree on is the bantam part. He has white legs, very upright body posture, and a "primitive" raptor like face. Is he possibly a cubalaya bantam?

He does not look like a Cubalaya bantam, but rather a mix of bantam Orientals.

Back
Top Bottom