Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Been quiet on this thread for a while. We are having a long run of monsoon like rains, flooding in the valleys every afternoon. Not a great time for pictures but I tried.

I think I will sell or cull these boys:

This 7 week old is promising:

Another youngster a week younger:

White cubalaya hen - bought from cubalaya a few summers ago - teaching her chick hygiene

It is a good bunch right now, with triple that amount in the woods unseen. Unfortunately the big old production red broody behind her disappeared while I was at work Monday. Given the weather I suspect she squared off against a fox or bobcat. This rainy weather is tough.

In that picture there is a big cull cockerel I am holding until county fair. I don't want to breed from him - high tail and nearly a straight comb - but he is in tip top condition, gorgeous BBR color and huge, well fanned tail. After the fair I will get rid of a bunch, back to about 25.

Went out and got some weights on my flock. My year old Zook hens came in at 2 lbs 7 oz. and 3 lbs. I have smutty a 4 1/2 month old Urch/Sandhill pullet that is already 2 lbs 3 oz. which tickled me.

I weighed the three 4 1/2 month cockerels I have culled down to . The Urch/Zook boys are 3 lbs 3 oz. and 2 lbs. 14 oz. The Urch/Sandhill male is 3 lbs even. All in all things are progressing. I lost two of my best pullets to a dog which was a bummer but next year looks to be better than the current one with the prospects I've got.

Here are my three BBR stags at just shy of five months. Alex

Here are my three BBR stags at just shy of five months. Alex

I like the one in the third picture the best as far as type goes, but the one in the second picture has the best color. They look good and look like you could use any of them for breeding. They all have something good to add to a breeding program.

Spangled cockerel. Felix1 this is a good example of what I look for in my stock, I select for this trait. I've been raising Cubalaya for a total of 8 years now and I finally get one like this. If he lives you can be sure that he'll get used on a lot of the spangled hens.

Back
Top Bottom