Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

hi jungle how have you been ?

I have been well, thank you, and you? 2014 was a rough year though. Due to worsening back problems I was forced to give all my quality birds away. My Cubas went to the Abilene, zoo and another breeder over by Dallas. I kept only my culls which I set free to fend for themselves. Surprisingly, some have survived. I began to selectively towards the partridge color (wild type) in 2013. When I gave away all birds, I kept the partridge birds for my totally free range flock along with a bunch cull wheaten birds. It seems that the partridge colored birds have done the best.

My back is a little better now (probably due to not having to frequently lift 50lb bags of chicken feed). So far this year is going good and I am glad 2014 is behind me. I am down here on the Texas coast with my daughter waiting for my first grandchild (About to become a grandpa any day now) and hoping to get a little fishing in too. Although I miss the joys of chicken breeding, it's been nice to have the freedom to be able to leave the farm for extended period without having to worry about my birds.

Last edited:
good to hear that you still have some cubalayas. I am collecting for my first incubation of 2015. my bb red(wheaton)grading project is going well. I have some hens that are 1/8 thai and some that are 1/4 asil 1/8 thai. may grade some with no thai but with the long tailed white legged asil only. will also try to raise some pure cubalayas this spring in white, black, red pyle, birchen, duckwing, and brown red/black red. not looking to sell many this year but raising for myself. will eat the culls but may sell a few older breeders.

It is good to hear from ya'll Jungle and cuba. I only have one breed pen set up, to try and get the multi spurred cockerel used to some of my hens. My Jap hen hatched 3 cubalayas - her eggs are white and I didn't let her set those. There's one wheaten, a black and a brown red. We are having a nice bit of decent weather so they are in a pen of their own.

The multi spurred cockerel is named Chipmunk. Last March I gave some eggs to a friend to incubate. This fall when I was at their place I noticed he had a chain of bumps on his leg, while his brother had 1/2" of spur. By the time of the fall Kentuckiana show Chipmunk was really starting to show these.

Saturday
my friend gave him to me to try and breed back to my wheaten hens. He is not the best type, but I would like to get this trait in more of my birds

nice woods. is chipmunk a grade? some of my thai grades(hens) carry their tail too high. i have culled all of those. my duckwing stag on last page also has multiple spurs. his tail is not as 'down' as I would like. he also has a white feather or 2 in his tail. maybe breed him and really cull what hatches.

jungle, congrats on the grandchild to come and glad your back is better. I am ready for warmer weather and some fishing myself

Remember that 1/4 Thai fellow you gave me 2 years ago? That is Chipmunk's sire. His mama is a wheaten cubalaya hen who hatched from a few of Christopher Wallen's eggs.

Anybody that has cubalaya chicks or started birds for sale this spring please keep me in mind. I would love to have a few.

Back
Top Bottom