Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

craig russell's august. doc everett's brush bb red. some of jim zook's especially gold and silver duckwings. when i breed the perfect cubalaya i will post it for you to criticize. but i am very close and mine wont die of mareks

Pardon my novice, I'm fresh-caught in poultry rearing,

I've read here that Cubalaya chickens will roost in trees.

I am planning to house some of them in a coop that I can move around my acreage (2-3 acres total).

If the young birds are reared in this coop, will they still desire to roost in trees at night or will they return to the coop to roost.

I'd rather they roost in the coop, but then again, what do I know?
wink.png

Thanks

Pardon my novice, I'm fresh-caught in poultry rearing,

I've read here that Cubalaya chickens will roost in trees.

I am planning to house some of them in a coop that I can move around my acreage (2-3 acres total).

If the young birds are reared in this coop, will they still desire to roost in trees at night or will they return to the coop to roost.

I'd rather they roost in the coop, but then again, what do I know?
wink.png

Thanks
It depends a bit on the line you get. Most of them will roost in a coop as long as you don't free range them on a daily basis. If there are trees close to their coop some of the youngsters will often start roosting in the trees (when free ranged daily).

Maybe I am just lucky, but I strictly free range, and they come to the coop at night. That said, I do use broody hens to rear babies rather than brood, so I think they learn from birth to return to the coop. The few young birds I've received have always returned to the coop (they are terribly smart chickens and I'm sure they quickly realized to follow the group) but I kept them confined to the house for a night or two to be on the safe side. They have access to a wooded treeline, but prefer the coop. However, my friend who started me on Cubalayas lives in the woods, and occasionally will have to fetch young or scared birds from the trees.

One of two cockerels that I'm keeping for further evaluation as they mature. I'm not planning on using them for breeding this year. I'll let them mature another year to see how they'll look at 2 years old, I've had too many look good in their first year and then in the second year the tail goes up, trying to prevent that from happening too much. Standing at attention.

Back
Top Bottom