Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

I have on hen that has been broody since April. I let her sit on some asil eggs. She got off them a week before they were to hatch. Luckily I had another Cuba hen that finished the job and has been a great mother. The other hen was put back in the coop and in days was acting broody again. She has tried to hatch a golf ball for over a month

I'm getting ready to integrate some new birds into my flock. I have had them confined in an area within the main coop where the original flock is. They've been confined for 2 weeks.

My plan was to let the original flock out to range, then release the new birds to the full insidecoop area for half the day, then release them to range.

While they are all out, we're going to make some changes to the inside of the coop to make it "new" for everyone. Hoping that in the evening, they will combine without too much fighting.

Any suggestions, or advice? Does this sound like a feasible plan or am I going about it all wrong?
Thanks very much,
adamf

Yes, we visited Doc (Saladin) and picked up some pullets and one stag. He was helpful and interesting to talk chickens with. We're lucky to live near him!

Update on the introduction/integration:
the new birds have transitioned smoothly into the existing flock: sure there's pecking order jockeying-for-position, but all is well. The 2 week "look but no touch" period was key in making the transition smooth. Giving the new birds a "safe spot" with an inner pen
was also key for their smooth integration.

:)

Platinum cockerel from 2017
DSCN0161.JPG
DSCN0159.JPG

So do you guys breed for type only? Has there been any breeding toward faster maturity? I'm not real familiar with the breed, but have heard they take a while to mature.

One of the best looking breeds of fowl I've ever seen though.

So do you guys breed for type only? Has there been any breeding toward faster maturity? I'm not real familiar with the breed, but have heard they take a while to mature.
One of the best looking breeds of fowl I've ever seen though.

In the past there were a few of us working on a bit of faster maturing trait, but eventually I preferred to keep the breed as it is so as to preserve it like it should be. Most of my birds are pretty much mature by 2 years of age and mostly adding bulk to the frame after that. In my experience if I have a good bird at 1 year of age they will be a VERY GOOD bird at 2 years.

So ready for spring.

Good looking cockerel! What would his color be? Golden with grey and looks like red on the back.

JAT is very familiar. Do you ride dirt bikes by chance?

Back
Top Bottom