Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Pics
There is a picture of an interesting wheaten hen in the "What breed or gender..." section, named "Yellow Bird". She sure looks like a cubalaya, though her face and comb don't show well. The thread author says she was the extra "surprise special" in an order from Meyer. They don't have cubas do they?

I gave away my half cuba mutt Saturday. In the absence of Shaggy I was looking and noticed his daddy seems to have had a growth spurt, with even his shanks looking bigger now. So I weighed him - he is 5.75#. Is that pretty good, cubalaya? It isn't too long until he is one year old.

i think its good. remember that it takes almost 2 years for a cubalaya to mature even though they can reproduce at 7 months. mine seems to have lost a little weight since i put him in another breed pen with more hens. he is right at 5 pounds but he was almost 6 a few months ago. with the hens i have noticed they gain their weight in the second or third year.

Last edited:
Yes, I remember the slow growth thing. But they are so sleek, and he is docile when picked up, I swore he wouldn't weigh more than 4.5! Just saying you folks are right, using the scale is the only way.

Right now he is with the 2 cubalaya hens and 6 assorted layers. I am going to purchase an incubator this afternoon so we can hatch more of the purebred eggs. Although with this heat and the way the white hen has been acting she may get real serious about setting today - she's been practicing for a week.

Hi All,

My name is Lanae and I am in Northern CA. I have a bit of a problem and am thinking that one of you all could help. I raise Rumpless Tufted Araucana chickens and am working on the Black Breasted Red variety, which is the only other breed besides Cubalay that the BBR is based on wheaten that I can find. I need to find a way to get the correct wheaten in my gene pool and am thinking using a cubalaya may be the easiest way to do it.

I hope I am making sense so far. I am looking for some wheaten BBR chicks or hatching eggs. If I introduce the cubalaya into one of my breeding pens then I just have to over come leg color, tails, and body type, but at this point it really will probably be easier than what I am working with as most bbr araucana are based on wild type which is incorrect. I have recently hatched 1 pure wheaten chick but I wont know untill it matures wether it is the correct wheaten since most wheatens are straw colored and ours need to be cinnamon colored.

If someone is interested in selling me chicks or eggs in California, please send me an email at [email protected]

Thank You

Lanae

Hi All,

My name is Lanae and I am in Northern CA. I have a bit of a problem and am thinking that one of you all could help. I raise Rumpless Tufted Araucana chickens and am working on the Black Breasted Red variety, which is the only other breed besides Cubalay that the BBR is based on wheaten that I can find. I need to find a way to get the correct wheaten in my gene pool and am thinking using a cubalaya may be the easiest way to do it.

I hope I am making sense so far. I am looking for some wheaten BBR chicks or hatching eggs. If I introduce the cubalaya into one of my breeding pens then I just have to over come leg color, tails, and body type, but at this point it really will probably be easier than what I am working with as most bbr araucana are based on wild type which is incorrect. I have recently hatched 1 pure wheaten chick but I wont know untill it matures wether it is the correct wheaten since most wheatens are straw colored and ours need to be cinnamon colored.

If someone is interested in selling me chicks or eggs in California, please send me an email at [email protected]

Thank You

Lanae

I am curious as to why you don't use Ameraucanas which have wheaton as well. After all they share a common heritge. Don't get me wrong I am not telling you what to do , and I Love Cubalayas, it just seems to me that you could be adding more problems than those you solve. Good Luck to you , no matter what path you choose.

Last edited:
I will have lots of birds this year and i have a couple of hens that i could let go with nice combs and a medium cinnamon color. i am in modesto/ turlock area. just let me know where you are so that i can make some arrangements.

Back
Top Bottom