Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Pics
I have put a ton of chick pictures on here previously, read back through the thread.
wink.png
BB Reds, and all the other duckwing variants- chicks should be plain yellow if they are pure for wheaten and are not carrying anything else-if they have stripes, spots, anything else, they have something else in there, like a melanizer, or mahogany, or some true BB Red, not wheaten. Whites should produce pure white or smoky grey chicks, spotted ones are not pure for white, they will end up leaking other colors, mostly black, and yes, will resemble california greys. Red pyles will also be white as chicks, or possibly yellow. Blacks will be black as chicks, brown reds and birchens will be also be black as chicks.
PS Cubalayas have pea combs, not rose combs. The comb on the white male pictured is nice, as long as it does not extend past the eye. It has a better shape than a lot of my combs.

I have been reading. I am on page 10 thanks for the info on chick colors. I have a ways to go it seems.

Lanae

I have been through this thread from the beginning, but I wish these breed threads had an index to some of the real good stuff.

My eggs are from the trio I got from cubalaya. White cock, white hen and a wheaten hen. I have 3 white with a few spots, 4 pure white/yellow, 2 with red faces, and 2 that are black/white mutts from the cuckoo Marans. They all have pinkish orange beaks, and only the mutts have any dark shading on their legs. There are 2 more whites in the incubator that aren't dry yet.

The beak color in the cubes will start out orange as will the legs. They will both fade to white as they age. You all are welcome to look through my pictures on here, you should be able to do that rather than reading the whole thread. When you have birds that are not "pure" for many generations for color, really, there is just no telling what you are going to get out as chicks. Your whites have pyle and brown red in their background-you are simply going to get anything and everything imaginable out as chicks. Don't worry, they will be all be pure cubes, just let them develop, we really can't tell you all what chicks will be and it really doesn't matter anyway. Good type is the most important thing, especially the tail, head, and size.

The beak color in the cubes will start out orange as will the legs. They will both fade to white as they age. You all are welcome to look through my pictures on here, you should be able to do that rather than reading the whole thread. When you have birds that are not "pure" for many generations for color, really, there is just no telling what you are going to get out as chicks. Your whites have pyle and brown red in their background-you are simply going to get anything and everything imaginable out as chicks. Don't worry, they will be all be pure cubes, just let them develop, we really can't tell you all what chicks will be and it really doesn't matter anyway. Good type is the most important thing, especially the tail, head, and size.

X2

thats what i was trying to say gallo. but you said it better.
i am trying a grading project for my bb reds. a white legged, long tailed, asil bull stag crossed with my biggest wheaton hen. will only keep the hen chicks and will need to find a bb red cock or stag by next spring. if cubakid has one or doc or maybe gallorojo has one to trade.
grading is done all the time to increase size , vigor or color. the yellow legs that show up ocassionally comes from asil. you can see the shamo in some cubalaya too. thai and ga cua could be good to grade in for some i think. aren't you using thai on yours?

Cubalaya- Hopefully I will have a nice BB Red cockerel for you in the fall. I just got a really nice new one myself from Mr. Zook that I have in with my best hen from 2010 and I have high hopes for that match. I'm glad to hear you are doing that asil grade project, I'd hoped you would. The potential is there to really help out the beak, head, body structure, etc, with that cross. Not to mention the white earlobes. I thought before of getting an asil hen myself, but most around here are so small they seem like almost bantams, very nice asils, just small ones. You surely need a large strain for this cross to work out, but, I think our friend CH has some sizable ones. I would love to see them, even might like one, even a male. As for me, I did not keep any of my Thai crosses from last year, not that happy with them, but, the hen was a poor excuse for a Thai. I've gotten way better Thai since then, and have some nice pure Thai out, and some Thai x cubes out as well. Hopefully that cross with real Thai turns out better, should hopefully give me heavier beaks, more brow ridges, and heavier bodied birds, and less white in the earlobes, but, only time will tell. Any cross ruins the tail for 3-6 generations!!! With a thai or an asil, maybe 3 generations to fix the tail, with a non tail-dragger, may take 5-6 generations. The Cubalaya tail is unique is easily lost.

Hi all,

I know this is a really dumb question but I will ask it anyway and forgive my ignorance. Have any of you tried crossing to the Araucana? Most of the araucana that I hatch that have tails have very low slung tails. As you know tails in an araucana are a no no but they crop up sometimes.

I am not sure the size you are going for in the cubabalay, but my araucana roosters range from 6 lbs to 9 lbs which may be a little large. The araucana has a pea comb and I believe the head structure of the araucana is fairly similar to the cubabalaya.

Here is one of my very dark wheaten hens the body of one of my duckwing roos, and a wheaten bbr roo.

Again please forgive my ignorance of your breed. I have been following this thread because the cubalaya bbr and the araucana bbr are based on the same type of wheaten even though I am having trouble getting it right. I get closer each hatch it seems. Too many in the passed have mixed the wild type with the wheaten.

Lanae

I don't know too much about Araucanas, I will admit that up front. The Standard does call for a 5 pound cock, so your birds are very very large. The standard also calls for ear tufts, I don't see them on your birds? Would they work to add size to the Cubas? Sure, if they as large as yours!! ,But, it would probably not be my first choice, as the rumplessness, and ear tufts would really scare me. If you had a tuftless, normal tailed " Aruacana" cull, maybe that would work ok? Mostly I've never considered this as all the ones I've seen have been smaller than my Cubas are. If that's what you had to work with, well, sure, try it I guess. There are lots worse things you could use, like anything with white earlobes. I have thought before about this cross but only to add the blue egg gene as a marker for my line. I had read somewhere once of a strain of Sumatras that laid blue eggs, what a neat way to ID your birds. I thought it might be fun to do this myself, but, it would take forever, so, that plan is one of many in the pile for when I retire and win the lottery...LOL

gallorojo, we can do some trading this fall, ok? what color are your thai?
i let the brown reds out to free range today and as they foraged across the yard, i was so thankful that they were mine. they are very good type and seem to shine with health and vigor.
on the araucanas i think we should stick to the orientals as far as grades. just my opinion though.

Last edited:
I don't know too much about Araucanas, I will admit that up front. The Standard does call for a 5 pound cock, so your birds are very very large. The standard also calls for ear tufts, I don't see them on your birds? Would they work to add size to the Cubas? Sure, if they as large as yours!! ,But, it would probably not be my first choice, as the rumplessness, and ear tufts would really scare me. If you had a tuftless, normal tailed " Aruacana" cull, maybe that would work ok? Mostly I've never considered this as all the ones I've seen have been smaller than my Cubas are. If that's what you had to work with, well, sure, try it I guess. There are lots worse things you could use, like anything with white earlobes. I have thought before about this cross but only to add the blue egg gene as a marker for my line. I had read somewhere once of a strain of Sumatras that laid blue eggs, what a neat way to ID your birds. I thought it might be fun to do this myself, but, it would take forever, so, that plan is one of many in the pile for when I retire and win the lottery...LOL
The first hen is tufted and the other two have tufted hens in with them. But the majority of Araucana worldwide are cleanfaced due to the lethality of the tufting gene it is not possible to hatch purely tufted babies. To me the rumplessness is the easiest thing to overcome. The araucana are missing the last vertabre where the tail forms, and my thought was when breeding to the Cubalaya it could be replaced with whatever tail mechanism that the cubalaya carry. But I know nothing about it.

I was just out in my chicken yard and noticed that several of my tailed araucana have a tail that is similar to what the Cubalaya is or at least my perception of it. Plus the araucana has a pea comb and if you were to wack off the cubalaya tail the bird would look very similar to Araucana.

Again I know nothing about it and do not have an interest in it as a project. I will go back to stalking this forum for baby BBR pics.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom