Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Johnn, is Phoebe Aleutian color? She is gorgeous!

Might let her try a second time, was this her first try? I found with my most typey line (Snowy) the girls kinda played around with being broody the first time, but the 2nd they fully committed and did extremely well...

:oops:

lol... no biggie... I think I have more broody Calls right now than I have ever had of broodys, period!

View attachment 1037374

View attachment 1037376
Hiding in the compost...

View attachment 1037379
Double stacked...

View attachment 1037383
Even a Trifecta of broodys, lol...

View attachment 1037386
And Cuteness, who played at broody last year without success, but this year she was very, very successful...

That is my all time fave pic of Crash!!

Here's my Crash being cute, lol...

View attachment 1037387
these ones!?!?

Attention all odd birds. Please report to Kristin's place for roll call. ;)

I hope you'll submit pics to be considered for the 2018 "other poultry" calendar. :fl

green laugh.gif
Sure feels like someone's already sent them my way! I have everything from crowing hens to Crash the tiny feathered human to one lunatic Easter-egger hen who likes to bury her face in the butt fluff of the other hens, but only when they're in my lap. :confused:

I see they're taking a count of people interested in an 'Other Poultry' calendar again! Seems like forever since the last one! I'll have to remember to set my camera to a large enough resolution, but yeah, I'd be glad to submit pictures if they go through with it again. :)

20170518_173634-jpg.1037386

And Cuteness, who played at broody last year without success, but this year she was very, very successful...

Here's my Crash being cute, lol...

pizap_1487834552694_wm-jpg.1037387

I'm so in love with Cuteness, she's just so pretty. :love:love:love And there's my second favorite Crash duck! :D Oh, the head tilt!

To answer your question (which I missed when I was highlighting to quote, oops!), this is Trudi's second time being broody, but the first time I was actually letting her sit. I guess I didn't even think about inexperience! My chicken girls seem to be naturals at brooding--well, except the ones that want to brood on invisible eggs. :confused:

Thank you! Mine have all been good broodies but Miley was a terrible mother but she seems to have picked back up now. Think they just get confused when they're young. How old is your girl sitting? My girl Maggie is still sat on her eggs but they're all dead. She doesn't seem to be able to keep them warm enough. Wonder if its because she hasn't plucked her chest feathers. Nice pics!

Trudi is 3 years old this year, but she didn't go broody for the first time until she was 2 years old, so maybe she's still behind in that regard?

She's a Silver Call :). Cute pictures by the way! :D

Ah, what country are you in, Johnn?? I know we have different names than most others, lol... and thank you, I love my little noisemakers, and they obviously think we need LOTS more, lol...

these ones!?!?

We only post our own pics... unless for reason and state they aren't our own...

How long do the ducklings need a heat lamp? Till they feather out?

Yep... feathered out is always a good time measurement... unless you have extremely hot weather... then you can wean them off earlier... just let their actions show you what is comfortable...

I'm so in love with Cuteness, she's just so pretty. :love:love:love And there's my second favorite Crash duck! :D Oh, the head tilt!

To answer your question (which I missed when I was highlighting to quote, oops!), this is Trudi's second time being broody, but the first time I was actually letting her sit. I guess I didn't even think about inexperience! My chicken girls seem to be naturals at brooding--well, except the ones that want to brood on invisible eggs. :confused:

And I love your Crash!!!! She is absolutely adorable!! :love
Would swap eggs with you... ;)

Yep, might just be she hasn't quite figured it out yet... :fl she does next time!

Oh, Johnn, your call ducks are just so stinkin' cute! I was just popping over to ask about experiences with broody call ducks--I forgot about your girls. So it is possible! My Trudi went broody and I thought I'd let her hatch with the hopes that she would hatch another hen or two because Malcolm is just getting too much for her alone and Crash won't be convinced to go live with them. Sadly, I think Trudi's quickly proving that she has no idea what she's doing and I'm pretty sure she's managed to kill any chance of her last egg (out of the 7 she started with...) developing. I don't think she's been turning it at all, and she does things like letting it stick out from under her so it isn't actually keeping warm at all. There's only one egg, so no reason why she can't keep it under herself! Last night, she was sitting a few feet away from her nest with the egg sticking out from under her again. She somehow managed to push it out of the nest and just followed it to where it stopped rolling, I guess! Oh, well. Looks like if I want more calls, I'm just going to have to get out the incubator and do all the work myself!

Anyway, here's a few pictures of Crashie being a stinker. :D Crash says, "Hellooo?"

View attachment 1036617

I love that little smile. :love

View attachment 1036615

She takes such nice portraits, too. :love

View attachment 1036616
Crash. Very cute. Very CUTE AND SQUEEZABLE. Look at her face. She is a round burb. She cannot help it if she is the way she is. She is too much for me.

Back
Top Bottom