Daily Duck Egg Report for 2015

It IS nice that they're so treat motivated.

My ducks go so crazy when I go out back there are only two things that stop them from forming a duck pyramid to cheer me on.

1) It is absolutely impossible for the runners to stand still for any amount of time.
2) Snow would insist her 11 lb butt would have to be on top and it would collapse.

So they just become a swarm around my legs... Until I pick up the pitchfork, then it's: "Oh, he's doing the house... we got 15 minutes or so..." and they all walk off and preen themselves.

Last edited:
And, egg number two collected just before 11am, still warm. It looks like I'm going to have to do my egg collecting twice a day.

My ducks go so crazy when I go out back there are only two things that stop them from forming a duck pyramid to cheer me on.

1) It is absolutely impossible for the runners to stand still for any amount of time.
2) Snow would insist her 11 lb butt would have to be on top and it would collapse.

So they just become a swarm around my legs... Until I pick up the pitchfork, then it's: "Oh, he's doing the house... we got 15 minutes or so..." and they all walk off and preen themselves.

That just made the most hilarious picture in my mind.
lau.gif

Woh! @Miss Lydia ! While I won't even blink about -27F even without wind chill in Montana, I know that is crazy cold in your neck of the woods especially now since it is currently 47F in my back yard
idunno.gif
ep.gif
47* how can that be?? I think someone is switching states on us
th.gif

lau.gif
Mine too. kinds like the mouse holding the elephant.

Congrats on the 2nd egg. After I found the one froze and split no liquid came out i set it on the counter in a bowl about an hour later picked it up and it looks like it sealed back can't find the crack at all the dogs will still get that one, then I bring in my 2 chicken eggs and accidentally rolled one out of my glove and it hit the counter and cracked and liquid did come out of it. I hate gloves can't do a darn thing in them.

ep.gif
47* how can that be?? I think someone is switching states on us
th.gif

Yup! just hit 50*. According to Accuweather, it is 48* and is supposed to hit 51*. If it makes you feel better the low should be down to 8 by Saturday. But for right now I am loving the warmer weather (Except for Kaine who is auditioning for freezer camp
smack.gif
)

Yup! just hit 50*. According to Accuweather, it is 48* and is supposed to hit 51*. If it makes you feel better the low should be down to 8 by Saturday. But for right now I am loving the warmer weather (Except for Kaine who is auditioning for freezer camp
smack.gif
)
Honestly doesn't make me feel better I don't wish this on anyone. Enjoy the nice weather but it does bring out the craziness of the drakes, mine have been going at it for about 3 weeks so this crazy weather has done one thing it has slowed down the drakes everyone is laying on their legs and feet and hormones are froze up for now.

lau.gif

Good! they crack me up, so even if I am not 100% accurate in their antics, I try to convey how they make me feel (and Snow does actually try to get on top of the pile ALL the time - just like when she was a duckling: she isn't malicious, just oblivious but all the other ducks better know where she is if they don't want to get squashed.)

And to be on topic, now we are back down to 5 eggs + 1 or 2 late yard eggs (50% max production). It was so much easier when the nights were longer and all the eggs were in the house. Snow is taking it easy: she is either not laying or is laying a smaller egg (around 90-100g) - I am getting 3 of these now - I KNOW two are from my Rouens, the other one is either a small one from Snow or a BIG one from anyone else.

Honestly doesn't make me feel better I don't wish this on anyone. Enjoy the nice weather but it does bring out the craziness of the drakes, mine have been going at it for about 3 weeks so this crazy weather has done one thing it has slowed down the drakes everyone is laying on their legs and feet and hormones are froze up for now.

I feel for your babies, mine are used to the cold and don't have caruncles to get frost bitten. Start knitting those duckie scarves
big_smile.png

The one thing that has saved Kaine from freezer camp so far is that I have heard they mellow out when they get older. And although he was active last fall and winter all the time - arrrrg!, this is his first spring (in 3 wks and 5 days he will be 1yr.) He has been attacking Tevye and Greta repeatedly. I would be more concerned, but they look fine and he is the one with the feathers missing from his chest. (Tevye may be more docile, but he is bigger and when he has had enough running away, Kaine loses feathers - serves the turd-bird right!)

Back
Top Bottom