Daily Duck Egg Report for 2015

I feel for your babies, mine are used to the cold and don't have caruncles to get frost bitten. Start knitting those duckie scarves
big_smile.png

The one thing that has saved Kaine from freezer camp so far is that I have heard they mellow out when they get older. And although he was active last fall and winter all the time - arrrrg!, this is his first spring (in 3 wks and 5 days he will be 1yr.) He has been attacking Tevye and Greta repeatedly. I would be more concerned, but they look fine and he is the one with the feathers missing from his chest. (Tevye may be more docile, but he is bigger and when he has had enough running away, Kaine loses feathers - serves the turd-bird right!)
Really I don't know that much about other domestic ducks like they mate year round? I thought they took off winter just like the Scovy's do. I don't know if I could deal with that year round ugh. Good for Tevye to take up for himself. No one will stand up to my one drake but my geese. I'm afraid you have many years before you see a slow down or mellow out. I have a almost 11 yr old drake who can barely walk and last year I saw him in the pool with one of his girls not sure if anything became of it but he had the will just maybe not the way.
roll.png

My ducks go so crazy when I go out back there are only two things that stop them from forming a duck pyramid to cheer me on.

1) It is absolutely impossible for the runners to stand still for any amount of time.
2) Snow would insist her 11 lb butt would have to be on top and it would collapse.

So they just become a swarm around my legs... Until I pick up the pitchfork, then it's: "Oh, he's doing the house... we got 15 minutes or so..." and they all walk off and preen themselves.
That visual made my morning!
lau.gif

Well, we have one egg bright and early this morning. Peek is a little egg laying machine! Poke, on the other hand, seems to lay when she feels like it. A little later every day, then skip a day, then back to first thing in the morning. At least she hasn't laid any after noon (so far).

We got another today!:weee My little Rocky seems to be on a roll. That's an egg a day for 3 days now. I got woken up at 6am today by my 4 year old telling me we need to go see if Rocky laid an egg.

We got another today!
wee.gif
My little Rocky seems to be on a roll. That's an egg a day for 3 days now. I got woken up at 6am today by my 4 year old telling me we need to go see if Rocky laid an egg.
Yay we did too and I got it before it froze and cracked. same duck too all the rest of my girls are waiting for this frigid temps to pass I guess.
aww lil one wanted to go egg hunting. what a sweet way to teach kids to care for animals .
smile.png

Yay we did too and I got it before it froze and cracked. same duck too all the rest of my girls are waiting for this frigid temps to pass I guess.
aww lil one wanted to go egg hunting. what a sweet way to teach kids to care for animals .
smile.png
My girls have stopped for the past few days with the temperatures hovering in the negative numbers. Before that, they would still freeze and crack fast. (tasty though!!)

aww  lil one wanted to go egg hunting. what a sweet way to teach kids to care for animals .:)

That's great that you got to it in time! I hope everyone gets to warm up soon. Looks like we will be getting the next blast on Monday. I guess I can't complain too much but I still don't like the forecasted 37 degree hi! I think it's wonderful that he is finally understanding these things. It took some convincing to let me bake with the eggs today. He just wanted to keep them, lol.

Last edited:
That's great that you got to it in time! I hope everyone gets to warm up soon. Looks like we will be getting the next blast on Monday. I guess I can't complain too much but I still don't like the forecasted 37 degree hi! I think it's wonderful that he is finally understanding these things. It took some convincing to let me bake with the eggs today. He just wanted to keep them, lol.
We are 150 miles north west of you (just north of Coleman) and they are predicting low of 24 high of 28 on Monday for us. And to make matters even more challenging, frozen rain and sleet. On again off again all week long with possible snow on Friday. We have already had freezing temps in the teens a couple of times and my chickens, ducks and geese seem to enjoy it...at least a lot more than I do. Everyone is laying as if it were already Spring. I put 29 Cayuga eggs in the incubator that will be due the first week of March. The geese are laying an egg each every other day but not acting broody yet which is a good thing with this weather. The chickens are laying and molting. We are back up to 11-15 eggs a day from them (23 hens) thay had dropped to only a couple each day. I have one poor Barred Rock that has molted and looks like an old feather duster that needs to be thrown away. Each day I tell her how beautiful she is going to be when she gets her new feathers.

Keep yourself and your ducks warm if you can. Pray for Spring.

We are 150 miles north west of you (just north of Coleman) and they are predicting low of 24 high of 28 on Monday for us. And to make matters even more challenging, frozen rain and sleet. On again off again all week long with possible snow on Friday. We have already had freezing temps in the teens a couple of times and my chickens, ducks and geese seem to enjoy it...at least a lot more than I do. Everyone is laying as if it were already Spring. I put 29 Cayuga eggs in the incubator that will be due the first week of March. The geese are laying an egg each every other day but not acting broody yet which is a good thing with this weather. The chickens are laying and molting. We are back up to 11-15 eggs a day from them (23 hens) thay had dropped to only a couple each day. I have one poor Barred Rock that has molted and looks like an old feather duster that needs to be thrown away. Each day I tell her how beautiful she is going to be when she gets her new feathers.

Keep yourself and your ducks warm if you can. Pray for Spring.
Stay warm! TX has some crazy weather and I'm always amazed how it goes from 70 to 30 in under 24 hours for the highs. I'm so very ready for spring and I'm seeing all the trees starting to bloom. I'm sure your barred rock loves all the praises. They are such pretty birds.

My girls have stopped for the past few days with the temperatures hovering in the negative numbers. Before that, they would still freeze and crack fast. (tasty though!!)
Can't say I blame them just surviving in the minus and singles is a challenge. We're going to be a bit better for a couple days anyway. Even today with a low of 23 felt good compared to minus 9 yesterday. We're under a winter storm warning for today and tonight though more snow & freezing rain.
I have a Muscovy in one of the chicken nest boxes so now I know who my other layer is. it's Joy. Ruth has not laid another since the one.

Back
Top Bottom