Daily Duck Egg Report for 2015

Now you just have to tell them that is where they are suppose to lay
lau.gif

We got another egg today as well! Apparently Rocky has decided when she is done laying she needs out of her box. Yesterday and today she managed to knock off the top of her tub in the garage and jumped out. She left Rubble in the tub my himself and they were talking back and forth when I went to put them out. She is so friendly though and let's me pick her right up so it isn't a big deal.
Actually they are very good at using the inside of their houses or the nest boxes but I use deep bedding so I have to use a pitch fork to root around and find them sometimes.

That looks so tasty! We are gearing up to make bacon and duck egg sandwiches on English muffins here. We saw a breakfast sandwich maker at the store and were inspired... (Plus we have a ton of eggs to eat up!)

That sounds delicious!

The eggs were really good. It's the first time I've fried them (sunny side up btw), and the whites are much stiffer than I'm used to, and the yolk was THICK. Really nice texture on both.

Really I don't know that much about other domestic ducks like they mate year round? I thought they took off winter just like the Scovy's do. I don't know if I could deal with that year round ugh. Good for Tevye to take up for himself. No one will stand up to my one drake but my geese. I'm afraid you have many years before you see a slow down or mellow out. I have a almost 11 yr old drake who can barely walk and last year I saw him in the pool with one of his girls not sure if anything became of it but he had the will just maybe not the way.
roll.png

Spent a day completely away from the computer... my eyes were getting square
smile.png

The year round mating isn't bad, that is just the mating thing. My girls aren't very resistive so it is just 15 seconds x 11 hens (less than 3 minutes) plus a bunch of boasting and wing flapping about twice/day. But now, it is the red peeling billed, I am a jerk and so full of hormones that my mind has migrated south thing which is sort of a pain. He spends less time mating and more time insuring that the girls are all his. Chasing away Tevye and Greta (not sure about this one since she has always been team Kaine). Hope this part goes away soon. He is otherwise a great flock leader and stands guard as the rest go into the house and signals alarms at every squirrel, or animal outside the fence plus inspects all nest building activity. When he isn't this way, he and Tevye actually get along well. Now Tevye has to spend most his time standing about 20ft from the outskirts of the flock circle, alone, looking on forlornly
sad.png
. Kaine's feathers are starting to tone down, so he might be getting close to his spring molt too, so maybe this is, "Make sure you are unquestionably in charge before you become silly and bald.", I don't know, this will be a first cycle for me.

Back
Top Bottom