d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Aubrey! Please send me some eggs too.
smile.png
hey Dou,
I havent forgot you from last year either. I know what you were wanting for your wife then. Just let me know if you want anything else while we're at it.

Good Evening, long time MIA. We have had some interesting weather, and many repairs to accomplish. Trees down on fences and flooding in pens.

Not much internet time. Glad to see others have survived thes storms.

So I just put some eggs in the incubator. These are goldneck eggs, the only thing is I dont know for sure which rooster, I kinda hope it was my goldneck rooster, but if not then maybe I will get there. I still havent seperated them, hoefully soon we can build pens, but first we need to seperate the turkeys.

So for now I am hatching a few DA. I have a young millie rooster 6wks, no doubt a boy, he is actually crowing. He is out of the millie/ porcelain, i am sure. Interesting, all of these guys, have no white. I know it comes in late, they even have very little black on them. Love watching them change cant wait to see them fully moulted.

Aubrey, sounds like your guys are liking the warmer temps and being cooperative. I like all the pictures too. Lots of good looking birds, well, there was a feathered footed one, I guess we will let that slide :)

Hey guys. :) been super busy! Just my luck all the chicks i hatched, 8 of them. Only 2 are roosters... can you guess which two? Yep. The only two porcelain chicks i got.

The older group of 5 are growing nicely the second group of 3 growing nicely ..... except for the little chick. At over 4 weeks old she is the size of a 3-4 day old. She is only just starting to get shoulder feathers.

Will get a pic of her with her sisters its really weird. She sleeps under them like if they were the hen. She eats and drinks and acts normal otherwise.

Very strange.

Sorry, this is a very beginner question, but are D'anvers quails or chickens. Some sites call them quail bantams. They do not look like quail to me though.

The d'Anver is indeed a bantam chicken. It is recogonized in 15 colors. Of these the color quail is the most abundant and maybe the most popular, this is why they are sometimes refered to as quail bantams or sometimes Belgian quails.

jj

haha yep I get that alot too off ebay on the egg sales. Actually get several snotty quail people saying something to the extent of "excuse me, but I see you have blue quail eggs for sale, but your picture is a chicken of some form, you need to fix that and show what you are really selling"
Kills me, never mind the fact that it actually says blue quail bantam chicken eggs haha guess they miss that part, some get quite rude about it too...

currently it's 14 colors in the ABA though, 15 soon I hope, unless I've missed one recently
and 9 in the APA

Hey, all! Just popping in for a minute to say that 13 week old Sam has become so full of himself that he grabbed head hen, Carly, to do some mating practice, never mind that he won't be fertile for several weeks. Delusions of grandeur much? Lucy, little unassuming, never-bothers-anybody Lucy, knocked his sorry little Casanova butt off of Carly, lol.

Hey, Aubrey, genetics question, though not actually d'anver related: I am setting a very small fertility test for my Delaware rooster and a couple or three of the eggs may be out of my big bodied heritage Stukel line BR hens. Will the progeny look more like a Delaware or a BR?

Isaac is 4 years old and a sweet elderly woman in Kentucky just lost one of his year old sons to a raccoon and desperately wants another one so I'm doing this mainly for her and to see if he's keeping fertility at his age. I know he mates the BR hens more than his own two Delaware hens, though most of the time, he seems to dislike them intensely for some reason. Men, sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom