d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

How early can you sex silver quail? I have some almost week old babies and 3 have mostly black wing feathers, and 3 have black/white feathers.

Some of my young birds that I could catch. They're beards ain't much because of the "Brooder Barbers"

Watermaal Project

BB red Pullet

Columbian roo

Silver Quail pullet

Goldneck roo

Goldneck pullet

Birchen project

How early can you sex silver quail? I have some almost week old babies and 3 have mostly black wing feathers, and 3 have black/white feathers.
Aubrey must be fishing.... again. I can answer this one.
The way to tell on any kind of quail is a laced back is a pullet.

Here are three silver quail the middle is a pullet the outside ones are cockerels.

SonRiseSilkies (Cheryl) asked me to post these pictures of some recent chicks she has hatched because of their unusual markings...any idea what variety they will be...Parents are Quail, but chicks appear to have some spangles.

Last edited:
Thank you SO much. They are splash quail so hopefully the patterning will help with sexing them. The "boys" have a lot of orange on their backs and wings and the "girls" only have this color on their chest. I will take some pictures and leave the final verdict to an expert- like yourself.
We are loving these d'anvers.
yep, that's definately what they ended up being, and you are 100% right on the way to sex them too. The pullets wont have all that oraganish color to their backs

Hello everyone,
I need some help, ...I hatched several [9] little Quail d'Anvers from my dark Quail pair and they are now about 8 weeks old.
Some of them are showing some weird spots!
There are three roosters and 6 pullets in the bunch
, three of them has what appears to be "spangles" on the tips of some of the feathers.
One pullet has tips on her tail feathers and several on her back and shoulders.
What in the heck????? Where did this come from? Is this really strange?
I also have 4 new chicks that one of my dark quail hens hatched after being in with a Millie Fleur rooster.
They look like dark quail except one who is red headed with a dark strip on head and then bold light and dark stripes down it's back.
Like a chipmunk
Light colored beard.
It is rainy out today or I might get some pics, but does any one have a clue where the spangles come from???
Thanks for any and all info on this.
PS they are cute as a bug no matter what!

think I saw some pics on the next page, but mottling is recessive. so the darker quail you have may be dark because they too came from a quail to mille breeding. would explain the darker color and the mottling on these chicks. since the mottled pattern is recessivbe. It would not show up in the first cross. But when you breed those together 50% at least would come out mottled. so one way or the other, for it to come out, your dark quial are split for mottling sounds like

ETA

Yep just saw the pics, that's what they look like to me. Looks like maybe only one parent gave them a copy. If they had it full on, they'd show more, but does look like they have 1 copy of mottling. some times that never shows, but from my crosses, you usually get very faint scarttered mottled tips on a single copy mottled bird....just like these are showing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom