d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

I'm not sure how to answer that. I always collect eggs, never leave them in the nest, not ever. They go broody without eggs, then if I want them to hatch, I give them what I want them to have.

Do you ever have problems if you give a hen partially incubated eggs? Do they kill the chicks for hatching early? I would rather do this and have them brood shorter periods.

No, never had a problem with it. I've given a D'anver hen eggs from the incubator well over a week before she would have hatched her own and she accepted them with no issues. They are wonderful broodies, at least mine are.

I pulled the eggs out if the nest last night since we have this weather coming in. She hasn't been sitting on them. I thought she was going broody. I guess she decided to wait. Good news is they haven't stopped laying since I brought them home. In 9 days I have 12 eggs.

I pulled the eggs out if the nest last night since we have this weather coming in. She hasn't been sitting on them. I thought she was going broody. I guess she decided to wait. Good news is they haven't stopped laying since I brought them home. In 9 days I have 12 eggs.

That's wonderful! These little hens are tough cookies. I wish all mine would wait. It's snowing with a vengeance.

I did clean out the old shavings in that coop and replace with fresh ones and set up the broody area on the floor under the nests so Mina and Penny could have their babies in their own little area that is sort of separated within the coop. Sissy and Maura are ten days behind them. Today is Day 14 for Penny and Mina. They have LF eggs, no D'Anvers, but I bet I'll end up with more roosters to rehome. Hopefully, there will be a few pullets instead this time. Between the four current broodies (Carly is thinking about it, haven't been out there yet to check today), there are ten eggs from my laying flock.

Those of you in the south, stay safe and warm.

Best advice: Don't walk on that ice without good shoes!
Wear surgical gloves under your other gloves to keep your hands warm and dry.
Wear double layers of everything including your head.

We had 2" of snow, now it's raining ice pellets, more snow to come all day and all night. It's really not that cold, only about 30-31*. My dad sent these cool stretch on rubber things with cleats that go on any shoe. I use those on my tennis shoes for walking out there. They work great, just like football cleats. All the birds are tucked inside, but those shavings need changing in the main coop badly, ick. With all the dampness and poop and confinement, even with ventilation, moisture builds up in the shavings, leading to the start of ammonia smell. It's not bad, but I'm really sensitive to it. Makes me want to shovel it out and throw in a new bag, but not feasible until tomorrow or the next day. They'll live. The bantam coop is fresh and newly supplied with shavings; at least I got theirs done before the storm hit.

My bantam are tucked away. LF are out playing. I just have snow and hopefully no ice. Kids have built a snow man and been sledding so hopefully they have that out of other systems for the day.

Back
Top Bottom