d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Where did you get your quail pair, Ridgeline?

Well, you all remember that about 12 weeks ago, I had six broody D'Anver hens. Aimee, Carly, Sissy, Maura, Mina and Penny were all broody at pretty much the same time. Sissy decided to do it all over again two weeks ago so she is due to hatch another four out in a week or less. Today, it's become apparent that Carly is also broody again. What is up with this group??? This time, she has all D'Anver eggs, one each from herself, Jenny, Maura and Mina. I had one of Penny's in there but it wasn't fertile.

Carly has commandeered poor Sissy's eggs so both are sitting in the same box. I'm of a mind to not give Carly separate eggs and let her and Sissy co-mother whatever hatches because, if things keep going this way, someone else will do the serial broody routine or maybe Jenny, who has not been broody at all, will decide to give it a try.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Where did you get your quail pair, Ridgeline?

Well, you all remember that about 12 weeks ago, I had six broody D'Anver hens. Aimee, Carly, Sissy, Maura, Mina and Penny were all broody at pretty much the same time. Sissy decided to do it all over again two weeks ago so she is due to hatch another four out in a week or less. Today, it's become apparent that Carly is also broody again. What is up with this group??? This time, she has all D'Anver eggs, one each from herself, Jenny, Maura and Mina. I had one of Penny's in there but it wasn't fertile.

Carly has commandeered poor Sissy's eggs so both are sitting in the same box. I'm of a mind to not give Carly separate eggs and let her and Sissy co-mother whatever hatches because, if things keep going this way, someone else will do the serial broody routine or maybe Jenny, who has not been broody at all, will decide to give it a try.
hmm.png

I had the good fortune to meet a breeder 30 miles west of me, his name is Jim Konkol. It is were we got our Faverolles as well, Jim only deals with proven show stock. ( we hatched eggs from Jim's stock ) the D'anver pair we actually got as week old chicks, and hatched all the others. Wonderful man full of knowledge.

One of my girls is broody as well. Along with 3 silkies and a Australourp. I go out on the morning GS now and look for who's next. My goose and duck just co-hatched 4 turkeys and 6 ducks. I have the first two Silkies in s XL dog kennel. One on each end in their own covered cat litter box. One was pitching a fit. I noticed she was missing some of her eggs. I just candled two days ago... I moved the other to look at her eggs. She had extra. How on earth did that little Silkie steal and move eggs 3 feet and out and back in a box as tall as she is?

I had the good fortune to meet a breeder 30 miles west of me, his name is Jim Konkol. It is were we got our Faverolles as well, Jim only deals with proven show stock. ( we hatched eggs from Jim's stock ) the D'anver pair we actually got as week old chicks, and hatched all the others. Wonderful man full of knowledge.
That is fabulous! How lucky for you!

One of my girls is broody as well. Along with 3 silkies and a Australourp. I go out on the morning GS now and look for who's next. My goose and duck just co-hatched 4 turkeys and 6 ducks. I have the first two Silkies in s XL dog kennel. One on each end in their own covered cat litter box. One was pitching a fit. I noticed she was missing some of her eggs. I just candled two days ago... I moved the other to look at her eggs. She had extra. How on earth did that little Silkie steal and move eggs 3 feet and out and back in a box as tall as she is?
Oh, they can do it, trust me. It's wild, but had it happen here, too.

Bad Rusty, trying to get them all for himself.

I officially have 3 of the 6 previous broodies broody again. Carly and Penny are sitting as of today. Sissy is on Day 15 with her four. Anyone want some nice Belgian D'anver chicks in a few weeks? These do not include any parents with feather stubs so should all be clean legged, unless I mistook one of Aimee's eggs for Maura's. I intended to give Carly and Penny only eggs from Maura (porcelain) and Mina (1/2 porcelain and Maura's mother).

Bad Rusty, trying to get them all for himself.

I officially have 3 of the 6 previous broodies broody again. Carly and Penny are sitting as of today. Sissy is on Day 15 with her four. Anyone want some nice Belgian D'anver chicks in a few weeks? These do not include any parents with feather stubs so should all be clean legged, unless I mistook one of Aimee's eggs for Maura's. I intended to give Carly and Penny only eggs from Maura (porcelain) and Mina (1/2 porcelain and Maura's mother).
I wish I lived closer. Would love some d'Anvers and so would my boy. Some day! Ones with mohawks would be even cuter.
cool.png

I have a question about the porcelain color. Is it sort of like a BBS situation, where other varieties might pop up when breeding for porcelain? Are there other colors that you can breed with porcelains to still get (some) porcelains, or is that a bad idea?

Back
Top Bottom