d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Pics
Quote:
yep, she's definately a looker,very nice hen, especially the beard quality on her. I see hers are like mine, toe nail wise, I have to trim them about twice a year.

Think everyone is having mite or lice issues this winter, seen tons of threads on here about it.

Just did the winter dusting on all my birds a week or so ago, most were clean, but did see a few of the little pain in the rears on a few. I do it two times a year and it keeps them pretty well beat down. If you ever let them get a good strong hold going, it's hard to get rid of all of them.

Hey, speaking of old english, do you have any odd ball colors? Shoot me a PM of what all you may have available. Looking for pyles, goldneck, laced, birchen, and really any of the unusual colors, dont know what you actually have though.

i think all of my birds have mites because their feayhers on their neck are gone so 7 dust???

Quote:
Yep, thats what I use, I put it in an empty spice shaker and catch each bird and get it down into their feathers good. I do the whole bird but especially around the vent, tail base, and hackles. And I also dust the pens and shelters.

It would be good to do them all from time to time but if you have a large number of birds, every now an then you could load it up good in your roos feathers and as he breeds the hens , some will fall onto them and treat them as well.

No, I only got true colors of blue red, splash red, bb red and crele. But I have hatched out some wild colors from hatchery birds I picked up at my local Tractor Supply store.

Also my one set of crele had nails worse then that when I got them. I have them in an outside pen and there nails are now normal. I can only guess they were on wire all their lives.

Quote:
yep, wire will do it to them for sure. Mine are all on the ground, but still have to watch the little buggers. No problem on the OEGB , was just checking. Would like to find some nice laced for my projects.

Just thought of something to do with the hatch I'm planning in March--I have a Hova with a standard turner, but these eggs would fall right through the egg holders, won't they? Do you use quail egg size holders in your turners, Aubrey? I wasn't sure what type bator you had, but probably bigger than a Hovabator, right? I do have two Hovas, but only one turner. Was planning to fill the 42 egg turner with my Rocks, Ameraucanas and D'Anvers, but guess I could hand turn these little eggs in the second Hova.

I've got 6 actually, but I hate a turner with a passion. I do have a Sportsman cabinet too, but prefer the Hovas over it.

I use the pheasant/bantam sized trays when I am just loaded to the gills and have all 7 going, they fit perfect in them. They lay a fairly large egg for their size, pheasant or guinea sized maybe a touch smaller.

They'll work in those, but yep, the standard size trays are too big.

From what I has seen here though, they do much better hand turned 2-3 times a day.

I started to have mites and or whatever those critters are but jeez, they are BAD. I noticed them on my birds yesterday and here we go....SEVIN DUST! I know they are not going to like it but it has been BAD because the darn wild birds been cooping with the chickens. Darn pesky finch looking dudes!

I periodically sprinkle birds and coop with DE- for a year now- and no buggers here. They get it in their food too!
wink.png

shouldnt be a problem. Plan to hatch off a lot of those this year. I need to raise my own numbers on both, and want to get a good bit of the khaki quail going too, only wy to get them is they by product of the dun breeding, so should have a few extras for sure especially in the duns.

Back
Top Bottom