d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Yep, this is a beautiful and fun little breed (even tho I don't have any yet). Still waiting for Aubry to design a special little dun quail pullet for me.....right Aubry.
wink.png
caf.gif

Cynthia, always enjoy your pics!

Last edited:
Quote:
Good to know, speckledhen! I was hoping that the eggs would be small, but not too small. We eat eggs, but not a ton- so if we had to crack three eggs to equal one large egg it would work just fine for us. Having never seen these little buggers in person, it's difficult for me to imagine just how small they are. I bet they're even cuter in person.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. These guys were so close to being perfect for our backyard flock! Ah well, I'll just sit back and keep drooling over the eye candy that's in this thread.
smile.png

Quote:
whew, took a day off to go offshore again and yall been busy again I see.

Let me see if I can catch up on a few. this bird pictured is a buff columbian looks like from what I can tell from the pics, that or a ginger red, which would be extremely rare to see. Having a clear neck and no other color to the body would rule out a quail. Very nice looking one too.

buff columbian

IMG_2453.jpg

ginger red

IMG_0140.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you!! This thread has been amazing to look through- but perhaps a bad idea. Now I want one of each.
lol.png

I do have a few questions. I have gone through this entire thread, and perhaps I've missed this information.. if that's the case, my apologies in advance.
smile.png

1. I did read that they have a bit of a shrill call. Are they louder than other types of chickens? I do live on a small lot with neighbors fairly close by... I want to be as neighbor-friendly as possible.
2. Is there a particular color of d'Anvers that tends to have especially fluffy beards? I'm really loving the birdie beards! (the things you learn about yourself...lol)
3. If I recall, they typically lay about 5 eggs a week, often skipping every third day. Yet on a hatchery site I notice that they list them as not a great egg producer. Is this because of the size of the egg?
4. How many d'Anvers eggs does it take to equal a typical generic LF hen's? I'd love to see a photo of a d'Anvers egg next to a LF egg if someone has one!
5. Is fall a bad time to start a flock from scratch? I'm thinking I'll have to order eggs, hatch them, let them grow enough to sex them, then find homes for the remaining birds (my brother and cousin are eager to help with this task!).
6. I'm amazed by how many colors these little birds are recognized in. Is there any other breed of chicken that has more variation?

Ummm.... okay, I think that's it for now.
smile.png

no problem for you or Inkheart with the questions, keep them coming, that's what this thread is for, I dont care if they have been asked before either, I wouldnt want to read threw 100 pages either if I could just ask again haha

1) If your neighbors are fine with chickens of any form, they'll be fine with these. Most of the shrilly calls are muffled, other than that it's just a crow like any other crow

2) Color has no bearing on beard. Those with better beards are just from better lines

3) hatcheries, as Cynthia said, dont really have d'anvers to amount to anything so I wouldnt go off their word a bit on them. Some lines lay excellent, some, usually the super rarer colors, not so much. Their production tends to be hen to hen and not really a breed thing. For the average, I get about 80-100 eggs per hen. They dont lay when it's supper hot, and stop about Nov- Jan here, aside from that, a good hen, when not broody will lay 4-5 a week

4)dont really have large fowl to lay one next to for you, but d'anver eggs are the same size as any other small bantam, same as d'uccles, old english, etc or pheasants if you are familiar with them. About quarter sized or so in diameter and 1 1/2 " long

5)fall is fine if you have a warm brooder for them. Spring is best of course, but you can start when ever you like as long as you have some where to keep them warm in the cooler months. Once feathered up, they are fine, usually takes 8 weeks or so. So that would just all depend on your commitment to making it happen now, would be a little more work than in spring

6)yes the APA has 9 colors and the ABA has 14 colors. Thing is very few have any of them outside quail or blue quail. Some like the bb red, columbians, and buff columbians virtually dont even exisit anymore but are still recognized ( I had to make my own , looked for years for folks with them, and I know everybody that's any body with d'anvers and never found any). There are several breeds with lots of recognized colors, the largest off the top of my head in banatm would prbaley be Old English Bantams, just because everybody and their brother has a dozen of them.

Back
Top Bottom