d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Mottled would be cool. I just happen to have a project in mind for mottled. Kristen said the other day, something like " It's funny how the bird you need just shows up.

That ole rooster was definitely split to lavender so I don't reckon its a stretch to think maybe had porcelain in his back ground.

Bad is a matter of perspective. We are simply teaching you to explore genetics and have fun with your birds. It makes hatching super exciting! I would say that is a good influence.

yep pretty much any time you cross a solid lavender based over black to just about any other color, your chicks will be black, split to lavender and whatever pattern the other birds may have been. From there you can get all sorts of stuff depending on what the other variety was. Can get very addictive
I haven't been doing this very long but, not knowiing what is coming out of the eggs makes it even more exciting. You never know the next one could be the lottery chick.

jj

Like I really need to get into more breeding.
hmm.png
We have been raising rabbits for about 8-9 years now with my daughter raising Mini Rex and my son raising Netherland Dwarfs. The two breeds with the most varieties currently. I get in enough trouble with my wife over breeding them. Now to get into more breeding of the chickens. I'm really gonna be in trouble.
smile.png

Actually, she has gotten to the point of rolling her eyes and shaking her head.

While our priority will be on breeding accepted colors for him to show trios in 4-H. I figure we can still play a bit with the genetics. This should be fun.

Like I really need to get into more breeding.
hmm.png
We have been raising rabbits for about 8-9 years now with my daughter raising Mini Rex and my son raising Netherland Dwarfs. The two breeds with the most varieties currently. I get in enough trouble with my wife over breeding them. Now to get into more breeding of the chickens. I'm really gonna be in trouble.
smile.png

Actually, she has gotten to the point of rolling her eyes and shaking her head.

While our priority will be on breeding accepted colors for him to show trios in 4-H. I figure we can still play a bit with the genetics. This should be fun.
Yep, I started out thinking 15 accepted varieties is enough to worry about. Then along came Aubrey and the chicken calculator. Add to that some of the neatest colors in my opinion arent accepted and never will be if they don't exist in the first place. Why should the OEGB guys have all those colors and why let Aubrey have all the fun.
lau.gif
Make as many colors as you can and get them out in the world. Just my thoughts.

jj

Quote:
Yes, it is a possibility I suppose. It is kind of like a reverse paint. Instead of having a mostly white bird with blobs of color, I have the opposite - mostly colored birds with blobs of white. Perhaps different in origin, but the idea is the same - it could be a new mutation or an old one that limits where certain color is produced that I've just never seen before and doesn't pop up in most books or is talked about in other flocks.

Or it could just be juvenile plumage, a strangely colored Mottled chick....or who knows. I will definitely be updating everybody on what the end result is.

Hi, all. Haven't been spending much time on BYC since stepping down from my moderator position. I've removed Aubrey and Ace from their women. Poor Shadow was hiding out all day, every day and wasn't eating because they were all over her constantly. She seems to be a hot mama in there, being the oldest hen, over 4. So, I removed the men to give that one some peace. No one else seemed to be having any problems, really, but Shadow is a valued member of the family and she needed a break. Those two Lotharios can cool their jets a while.

heres some new pics some r blurry tho so sorry about that

gold birchen?

mille fleur

porcelain

gold birchen

porcelain has a better stance they havent been let out for a while so they were all more into foraging then picture takin

Back
Top Bottom