d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Coccidia - you all mean coccidia, right? Not cocci bacteria? Sorry about the technicalities, I work in a micro lab....
roll.png

Coccidia is kind of inevitable with most established flocks that are in a litter or floor based environment. It is everywhere. Really management of coccidiosis is more of a how you let the chicks build immunity before ground contact than prevention of exposure. Corrid is a coccidiostat, so it is a preventative measure for the infection that is bound to come since these chicks have presumably not been on the ground before and probably not exposed to coccidia. Coccidia immunity is usually built up gradually and when it hasn't been, the onslaught can come rapidly (within a week after exposure) and can be deadly for strains with no genetic immunity.

I would say JJ isn't exactly looking for trouble - he just knows whats around the corner and wants to make sure his babes are protected and ready to deal with it.

NanaKat...cocci lives in the soil literally so it is best to go ahead and start the Corid and get them on the ground as soon as possible to begin the immunity building process. Weather permitting, my babies hit the ground between 24 - 36 hours old for about 30 mins a day at a week old they get a full preventative dose of Corid for 5 days. In the winter and cooler months should I have young ones, they do not get Corid unless there are signs of Cocci.

Kristen, Thanks for posting that!
I have argued til I'm blue in the face with fokes that it is called coccidia, and that cocci has just become the Internet short hand for it, now people think that's what it is when in fact cocci was a type of bacteria, not the little protozoan mongrel that gets in our birds. I didnt know all the in's and out's on how to properly tell them the difference , but from a micro lab tech, that get's it done. My avian lab here in GA all refers to it as coccidia too, but that never seemed to carry any weight??

oh well just had to get that out since it came up... I feel better now...LOL

Here it's horrible, think we have all 9 strains in GA seems like. I lost a ton of birds this year too it because we have been super wet along with our normal south Georgia 200 degree temps. which just made a petree dish for the lil buggers. The d'anvers seem to take it pretty well, some of my long tails fair poorer with it than they do, but it still gets 'em if you arent careful. Had a bout of it that Corrid just wouldnt fix this year too, but every lab test just showed coccidia in them. Had to start rotating treatments to get some results.

But yes its everywhere in every state, hot and arid states seem to be at a lower level than the hot and wet areas though.

Cynthia, yes being new ground, there is just most likely less of it around , which is great for you!!! That and it looks like you keep yours in immaculate condition too which plays a big role in keeping it beat back.
Folks around here refer to it as cocci...lazy I guess. I also deep litter and use medicated chick starter and also Corrid as a treatment. Had not thought about using it before exposure to the ground.
I gradually introduce my brooder babies from a concrete floor covered by litter to a dirt floor covered by litter and then to the outside. I also keep dirt/dust boxes available in all pens and cages for that early exposure.

Love the mottling on Mongo and on Backwoods beautiful "candygram".

Aubrey....now you are gonna make me work. Somewhere around this zoo I have some lab results from 5 OEs I lost to a mutated unnamed strain of coccidia. It was in the eggs. The strain was a combination of two strains that mutated and has never been found in Kentucky. The eggs were shipped eggs that Cyn hatched for me as a surprise and never left her brooder before I picked them up. :) They were older chicks when it killed them and the lab told me if I had not done my normal preventative dose it would have killed them much sooner. :( I have yet to lose one of my own hatchlings to it.

JJ Mongo was named by my husband. I asked him for a manly name and he laughed and said "Mongo" and the little guy tried to crow so I took it that he liked it. hahahahaha He is still in the house with us with an alien hatchmate. He watched TV with us and this evening was waltching Braveheart from the back of hubby's chair. Yeah it is spoiled like everything else around here.

Also on a side note...I am proud to say that I am indeed ready for hunting season. While walking the dog a couple hours ago, I shot and killed 2 coons on the road about 15 yds from my coops. The funny part of it...I carried my pistol because the yotes have been fussing in the distance the past couple of nights so I took the appropriate firearm. Let me just say this...in the dark of the night out in the area of BFE about 150' from the house...two shots from a .40 cal will awaken and cause to come outside half dressed...a very grumpy husband.
idunno.gif

Ah well...he will get over it.
gig.gif

LH and her rooster, Lancelot, both have a zero tolerance policy for predators. Yup, if we go to war, she's on my team!!
lol.png
Good shootin', my friend! Hope you don't start up with yote issues again. At least they aren't feeding pups this time of year, but those pups they did manage to raise are in the pack now. Tell my Little Love to behave and stay where mama puts him so he doesn't become a yote snack!

Yeah, that mutated cocci strain was a weird one. Never had that here and my brooder is always disinfected anyway (ammonia, not bleach, as bleach won't kill the oocysts that cause cocci). My wooden brooder is coated with marine grade polyurethane they use on bars for waterproofing so nothing can soak into the wood. They hatched fine and were great for two weeks they were here and for so long, didn't seem possible they were dropping from coccidiosis until we got the necropsy back and found out that it was passed down from the parents! Same thing happened to another GA friend who lost an entire brooder full of quality chicks-no bloody poop, just lethargic, then dead. He consulted me and I was perplexed by the lack of symptoms and no contact with the soil. Necropsy confirmed a strain of cocci not found in GA, but that came with the chicks themselves.

Quote: Oh, my, I try, but if you could see all the feathers from the molting broodies and older juvies that I just can't keep up with! I rake and rake and rake and they still keep coming! Probably time to take the tiller back in that pen to fluff it up.

Last edited:
Cynthia- The first round of coccidiosis I get here is the bloody poop kind. Corid usually takes care of it in a couple of days. But the second round is something different. No bloody poop, they just set around all hunkered up. They eat and drink, crops are always full. They either get over it or just get weaker and weaker all the while eating like normal and the die skin and boneswith a full crop. It's like they can't get any nutrients out of the food. I had some tested because I did't know what it was and it is coccidida. The last few time I have mixed molassas in the water till it looks like strong tea and that seems to straighten them up. I don't know maybe give them enough strenght to fight it off. I first tried it on the one goldneck I hatched because it was so weak it couldn't stand. The next day it was running around pretty good. Now I do it every time I see it coming and haven't lost a nother chick. Maybe just luck>

Boy JJ - sounds like two things going on at once to me...I would think coccidia to be a secondary infection...birds could just be shedding oocysts and suffering from a little bit of intestinal invasion at the same time as something else. That "going light" trait is pretty common in growing birds and completely unrelated to coccidia, although birds can have both at the same time. It is often caused by Mareks disease or is some form of Lymphoid leukosis. Sounds like the lab techs blamed the first thing they found.

I've seen here only the usual type of cocci with bloody poop, which cleared up quickly with Corid. Years ago, when I couldn't find Corid and used Sulmet, it didn't fix the issue, probably because Sulmet is not effective against the type we have here. I haven't had to deal with cocci for quite some time, though, thankfully, though I keep Corid on hand just in case.

I think as paranoid as Virginia is about chicken health they wouldn't miss much. But I don't have the mortality for Mereks. And it will clear up like over night which should rule out Lymphoid leukosis which really messes up the internals of a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom