d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

yep hate to hear that. I'm like Cynthia, I hate it and it drives me crazy... I usually try to do a necropsy when it happens just to know but even then sometimes it comes back blank and you just never know

I've lost my mind. I just turned down a chance to rehome Aubrey.
th.gif

Well, my last 3 eggs I had in my incubator had dead chicks. 2 pipped the wrong end of the shell and the last one looked...bad. When I opened it there was a lot of brown liquid in there. The other two are really disappointing because I feel like I should have been able to do something. I have 5 chicks out of the 8 eggs that went into lockdown, but I'm still a bit disappointed. One of the chicks that survived, I had to help because I shrinkwrapped it on accident. When the other 4 had hatched, the 4th ripped it's cord and was bleeding fairly heavily all over and I made the call to open and take her out and stop the bleeding. I think doing this made the humidity drop and impeded the other one from hatching. I watched it sit there for a long time peeping and peeping but not able to get out and I decided, yet again, to intervene. The membrane was clearly dry and stuck to it. It even pulled some wee little baby feathers out. Both the bleeding chick and the shrinkwrapped one are doing fine, eating and drinking well...even though one is bald in a few places. So now I have 4 two week old chicks, 3 one week old ducks, and 5 one-two day old chicks. Am I crazy to want to put more eggs in my incubator? Lol. This is a sickness...I tell you.

Just got home from the d'Anver national,at Lucusville. There was 4000 thousand birds total and about 150 d'Anvers. It was the first real show (not county fair) that I showed birds at. I showed 8 total. 4 silver quail, there were nine total. Mine placed best of variety, the reserve was a bird I gave a friend of mine and then 3rd,4th went to mine birds. I showed a black pullet that placed 5th out of thirteen. The white pullet I hatched from Aubrey's eggs was reserve of variety. But I think I feel the best about the two quail pullets I showed placed 4th and 5th out of a big class of quail. So that was real neat. But the best part of the trip was talking to the people about the birds. I talked a lot with Tom Shepherd he gave me two porcelain cockerels, so when the show was over I let him pick out a silver quail pullet. Greg Romer also spent a lot of time talking with me and showing me things about the different colors. I met a guy named Bernie Bias from WV who is working on a lot of differenc colors and we talked hours about birds. He wanted to buy some silver quail because he was having trouble with his. I told him they wasn't for sale but if he would help me out one day he could have two. Felt alot better about that then all the people that offered to pay for them because they thought they were pretty.

jj

Quote:
JJ I was so disappointed I didnt get to go over there yesterday and this morning, but I ended up traveling with a friend to the dobe nationals and I couldnt make the side trip, Maybe I will get over sometime to meet you. Let me know if you head down into the carolinas for a show.

Back
Top Bottom