d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Aubrey, will using a single combed bird make the rose combs in future generations smaller. My porcelian males tend to grow huge , ugly combs. Is there any thing to do about it other than finding a male with a small comb some where?

jj

yep more than likely, and no problem either, if you ever need tips on which way to go with any of them, feel free to ask.

I noticed you said the goldneck male had a bad comb too. I'm guessing it has a single comb? If so that's most likely traced back to the guys use of d'uccle, but remember too, rose comb is dominate over single combed so it will go away when bred to a good girl. You may get a few throw backs here and there just like this guy was, but 90% or so will be right. and all this is again if you HAVE to use him. good milles or porcelains will allow you to keep going and with less type issues though if you dont have to use him.

Then again you could breed him to milles or porcelain girls and start a second line with new blood in it too. Just a second possiblity to go with
Actually his comb is a rose comb, its a tad smooth, and the end point is actually inverted, so his comb stops at the top of his head instead of following the contour of his head. Its almost as if he doesnt have the bell but as I said it is there just inverted.

So I will keep him around but dont plan to use him unless I need too. Now putting him with a couple of good millies might be something to try, maybe they can help him over come his issues and as you sadi, some other blood.

Dont worry he isnt going any where.
I expect next year I will be full of questions, so I plan to ask away.

How early can you see rooster comb development? I see about 3 of my little ones that seem to have larger combs than the others...but these are little babies. I know with my cochins, it was apparent pretty early on the males from the females

Aubrey, will using a single combed bird make the rose combs in future generations smaller. My porcelian males tend to grow huge , ugly combs. Is there any thing to do about it other than finding a male with a small comb some where?

jj
not really, some times it makes it a bit too high actually. But really for the most part of what I have seen doing it. The F1's have a nub, the F2's end up with a normal rose comb.

Best bet on yours I'd say would be to breed him to the smallest combed hens you have. Pretty much in anything like that, if you have too much breed to one with not enough. Or vice versa if you need to add to a trait.

MOST OF THE TIME, that usually works, not always though

Actually his comb is a rose comb, its a tad smooth, and the end point is actually inverted, so his comb stops at the top of his head instead of following the contour of his head. Its almost as if he doesnt have the bell but as I said it is there just inverted.

So I will keep him around but dont plan to use him unless I need too. Now putting him with a couple of good millies might be something to try, maybe they can help him over come his issues and as you sadi, some other blood.

Dont worry he isnt going any where.
I expect next year I will be full of questions, so I plan to ask away.
bring 'em on

and that's good if he is rose combed too. I was thinking it was way off, not having the point ( blade) correct isnt a biggie, bunch of perfected colors have that.

Yes if that's it comb wize and color is a little off, just use him on some nice mille hens and he'll spit out about 50/50 mille and goldneck for you. Being bred to black versions ( the milles) you'll get a little more of those random black feathers, but once you get a good group of goldnecks going, and start breeding goldneck to goldneck, that all clears up fast and you'll have a good clean white in all the new generations

How early can you see rooster comb development? I see about 3 of my little ones that seem to have larger combs than the others...but these are little babies. I know with my cochins, it was apparent pretty early on the males from the females
you can get a good idea at a couple weeks, but on rose combed birds it's a lot harder to be accurate than say a single combed chick.
My phoenix and ohiki, you can tell in just a few days, that single comb will start to poke out on the head pretty quick.

Depending on the growth rate of the individual in rose combed birds, they will trick you a lot. Some pullets get good combs, some virtually none. So the good combed girls can at time look like cockerels based on comb, BUT it's usually paler.

At about 4 weeks, if you see some with decent bigger than others combs, and it's a darker pink or red. it a good shot that it's a boy.
At this age if they dont have much of anything, good shot it's a girl.

But as many as I have raised, I still dont count them til they get a little bigger, feather type or color patterns on certian varieties are the best most reliable way to sex them. It just takes longer to get to that point

you can get a good idea at a couple weeks, but on rose combed birds it's a lot harder to be accurate than say a single combed chick.
My phoenix and ohiki, you can tell in just a few days, that single comb will start to poke out on the head pretty quick.

Depending on the growth rate of the individual in rose combed birds, they will trick you a lot. Some pullets get good combs, some virtually none. So the good combed girls can at time look like cockerels based on comb, BUT it's usually paler.

At about 4 weeks, if you see some with decent bigger than others combs, and it's a darker pink or red. it a good shot that it's a boy.
At this age if they dont have much of anything, good shot it's a girl.

But as many as I have raised, I still dont count them til they get a little bigger, feather type or color patterns on certian varieties are the best most reliable way to sex them. It just takes longer to get to that point
I'm just an impatient chicken mama....lol. I know someone with a set they were going to sell as a breeding pair...until the female started crowing. I swear, looking at the two...who were hatched at the same time (give or take a few days) from different pens, you would have sworn it was a cockerel and a pullet...nope.

yep, they will trick you every time on these lil buggers. Done it to me a bunch of times. Just got to where I stopped trying, once they grow up and It's time to seperate them for breeding, I know what's what, til then they are on their own haha

I still get lots of request for sexed day olds, just have to laugh and tell them to come decide whos what

And just a few days ago, the pros had to tell me that my little pullet with a plump comb that I had paired with a big combed cockerel was in fact a small combed roo. Of course to add to the confusion, another pullet had laid an egg while sitting on top of their cage and the egg had dropped into the hay stuffed cage floor.

look what I am getting
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom