d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Hey, D'Anver lovers! Molly, my Phoenix, has a little mille baby this morning. And the other egg is pipped. Not sure who the first one belongs to, but I had guessed it was Mina's. It's mille colored, not porcelain. The pipped one belongs to Aimee so it will be mille, but a split, since the dad is porcelain.

Aimee's two eggs (which belong to Mina) are on Day 17 today. Those two should tell me if Mina was sired by one of the porcelain males, I'd think. I realize that a porcelain over a mille split would not give all porcelains so just that one hatched mille baby under Molly (if it is Mina's) doesn't mean Mina is not a split herself, necessarily, right? I hope this makes sense. I'm not sure if I say things well sometimes.

I hope Molly is finally happy. She has been broody since September 12. Never had one so insistent that she was going to have a chick. She's a sweet broody, never bites, always lets us see the babies. Are all Phoenix hens so sweet? She's the only one I've ever owned.
For some reason I have the idea that Phoenix hens would be "wild" like Sumatras. Not so, I am learning from your story. Congrats on the hatch!

Cynthia- a porcelain roo over a millie split to lav, should get you 50/ 50 porcelain and millie. Of course that is an average, you could get 3 millies first,then 3 porcelain. But you got a good shot at porcelain if she is split.
also Cynthia,

all the milles from this combo will be splits for sure so just keep going back to porcelain.

Ok so I am trying to get a plan together for next years hatching.

So I have the porclain roo and the goldneck roo. Goal is good goldnecks.

I have several Milliesgirls and 2 goldneck girls.

The millies I have 1 with lots of white, actuall,y she is streaking white from her head into her shoulders, not correct pattern.
I have 1 that has the oppisite with black streaks head to shoulder.
1 millie that is extreamly light, the rest are similar in the pattern.

So do I have a pen with the porclain roo with the millies what about the goldnecks? do I take a chance and try to see if my goldneck roo with the girls give me some decent goldnecks to move forward. or do I put the goldneck girls with the porclain roo, and put the better millies with the goldneck, or should I not give the goldneck any girls that I hatch eggs from?

I also have the use of a really good looking goldneck booted bantam. He has produced several goldneck pullets from a white duccle hen. They had really good tyoe and color, nice beards and muffs, but of course feather feet. I know using him would take me backwards with the feather feet, but maybe it would be worth it for trying to get good type and color? Not sure I should attempt this, but he is a really good one.

thanks for all the help. I just need to plan my coop needs now.
you can just breed them all to the porcelain, you just will have them all split for lavender is all.

or you can go like you were saying, porcelain to goldneck you'll get 1/2 mille and 1/2 goldnecks all split to lavender.

I think a dominate white porcelain would looks awesome would be the porcelain body color, but with tail and spots

then use that not so good goldneck male to the good mille hens, you'll get 1/2 of each ruffly that way. Just pick and cull threw and select the best ones.

That's the way I'd go. That way you'd have 2 some what unrelated lines of goldnecks coming out, all being helped in pattern by the porcelain and milles.

I wouldnt add in the booted. That would just take you back about 4 generations to remove all the foot stubble. Still fighting it to a degree on the goldnecks now from the original d'uccle cross that was used to make them

For some reason I have the idea that Phoenix hens would be "wild" like Sumatras. Not so, I am learning from your story. Congrats on the hatch!
na, phoenix are very laid back, some of the mildest mannered chickens you can have. It's due to how they were bred and soley being an ornamental breed which all threw it's development was babied and handled so often. From all that, they are just a very tame breed that virtually stands under your feet.
I have hundreds of them, most all the long tail breeds are this way. even my sumatra are, the bantams... the large fowl are a little gamey still

Quote: Just looked at your signature line carefully for the first time....wow what-a-variety!!! Thanks for the info.
bow.gif

haha, yep got quite a collection here, use to have lots more than that too, still have some like china games and such that I dont have room for on the sig line. But yep 600+ breeder birds easy, been a while since I counted them all, but there's a bunch of 'em

on top of them have had
sultans, silkies, d'uccles, polish, creveies, houdans, old english,sebright, cornish,ee's, and a few more odds and ends, plus all the waterfowl close to 100 species at one time, and game birds, peafowl, pheasants wild turkeys etc..been bird poor my whole life seems like

Molly has two chicks and is in a state of maternal bliss, FINALLY! She insisted that she had to do this again before the end of the year and now, she has her babies. Aimee's chick, once again, has a case of Kentucky Leg Fungus so it is easily distinguished from Mina's in spite of them both being milles. Why are most of Aimee's chicks getting noticeably feathered legs? Aimee has just the most minute stubble down the outside of her legs, no actual feathers, but lately, her chicks have had some real leg feathering. The porcelain sire, of course, has none.

So, Aubrey, why is this trait so darn prominent on her chicks when the sire(s) have none of it? If I was seriously breeding D'Anvers now, would I be forced to remove Aimee from the program, in spite of her being such a beautiful specimen other than the feather stubs on her legs? It's very definitely being passed on to most of her chicks, so far, all pullets as far as I recall. I wonder if any cockerels she produced would also have feathered legs/stubs. It's a shame since she is a pullet producer.

Last edited:
yep Cynthia,
that is odd, usually if you have one with faint stubble, and bred it to a clean leg you virtually get none then. Not sure why she's passing it on so obviously. Not supposed to work that way. But yes, if you were breeding for top birds, you'd need to cull her. I found the culprit here and had to do that myself. It's in a project pen now.

Chickmama,

that happens from time to time, and for me at least seems to be more so on the lavender color. Something about that gene in a bird, it makes runts seems like. Not sure if there's a genetic reason for it or not, but that's the only color here I've noticed it on

and Lorylin Frams

no but it sure looks like what that combo would be. you've given me a new idea now haha as I now have the cream gene to start working into the d'anvers. But no, that is a very sun bleached washed out blue quail

Back
Top Bottom