Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Wellsummers are LOUD!!!! Marans eggs are coooooooler!!!! they cool ppl keep marans... LOL Be with the in Crowd... get marans!!!
lol.png
(pink is gonna kill me!!)
big_smile.png

Don't get me wrong, I like them both. It just seems that marans are a lot harder to raise....good ones that is. I've got Welsummers that are from Erhard and BCM that are wade. There's just so much hype with the marans as well.

idunno.gif
Whatever are you talking about??? Hype?? what do you mean???
lau.gif
gig.gif

All I can figure is that you aren't getting a dark enuff egg to make you crazy like the rest of us!!!!
he.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Rotti,

I had both and got rid of the welsummers. My marans are way more talkative to me. They are the assertive ones that jump up on the roosts and DEMAND their right to go free range.

The welsummers were more laid back. They were not big on coming close to me. They were incredibily LOUD at laying time - - - The loudest egg song I have ever heard.

The marans are a challenge to breed because there are so few "mighty fine" examples of standard meeting birds.
Most of us have "WORK" in process birds. The personailty makes them the keeper for me.

Last edited:
morning Math!!! (you early birdie)... I LOVE MY MARANS!!!! (okay I feel better)... my Wellies were nice too... much more independent though.... My marans are super quiet... can't find em most of the time...

Mornin'!!!!!!
frow.gif

No Jan, nothing wrong with what you said about Welsummers, Wellies aren't for everyone, just as Marans aren't for everyone, or both are for none, ya know what I mean?
smile.png

My opinion??? I have all three, Barnies, Wellies and Marans (we all I know I'm addicted to the dark egg layers) as far as temperments, my Marans and Barnevelders take the lead hands down over the Welsummers. Don't get me wrong, I love my Wellies, they just are not a super snuggly breed of birds, they are friendly, just a bit more independent, unlike the Marans or Barnies. As far as the noise level......YES, Wellies can be known to be very vocal upon egg laying, not just the girls either, the roo's are just as happy to sing along with the girls for encouragment. So this is a factor that should IMO be considered heavily if one lives in an area where noise could be an issue. My Marans are somewhat noisey but this is only the breeding pen of Marans that shares a divided coop with the Welsummers and my Mr. Bill is all to happy to join in on the fun but he loses interest pretty quickly and goes about his business. My Barnie girl has yet to lay and egg so I can't comment if she is going to be a singer or not, but, so far, they are the quietest birds that I have. They chatter talk to me and trill when I'm in with them because they are oober friendly and curious, but even my roo isn't that loud, he doesn't crow as much as the Marans or Wellies. Egg laying comparison IMO between the Marans and Wellies right now is pretty neck and neck with the Wel's out laying the Marans by and egg or two a week, but I still have a few 6 mos. old BCM pullets dragging their feet starting to lay. I hope to be swimming in Marans eggs when these girls get their groove on. All three breeds do very well free ranging and foraging, all 3 roos are great protectors of their flocks and are gentle with their ladies, IMO.
smile.png

WHAT!!!???? marans aren't for everyone
th.gif
(hands over ears).... La la la la la I can't hear you Pink!!! la la la la la

lau.gif

It is just like you to chime in with well thought out... sound advice.. (pink)

(okay... I agree)
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
You have got to see this fat baby.... I just think it is the cutest ever!!!

Gotta love them low riders...

16367_dsc02176.jpg

16367_dsc02171.jpg

the girl version!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom