Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Just wanted to post a picture of some Barnie eggs. The row on the left are BCM. The middle and right are Barnie. The middle row is v/B lines and the right row is Kelly Cratty. I used a Johann roo to cross with my KC and kept the pullets and and sent the KC on their way. The chicks from the v/B eggs were v/B and Johann and they are laying some beautiful eggs. I will try to get new pictures of those eggs and some of the birds.

46389_dscn2393.jpg

Quote:
Your egg color is getting to be awesome!!! Wow, mine still look like the right, definitely need some darker egg lines. Wow! Did you get my email lady?
smile.png

What is the difference between a Maran egg and a Welsummer egg? Anyone have both to compare side by side? I'm torn between the 2 breeds. I may end up getting both,
tongue2.gif
but we will see.

Quote:
Ah, thank you Geebs
big_smile.png

Hmmm, I wonder if they could eat Natural Glo? That's a stablized rice bran product for horses. It makes their coats shiny.
smile.png

I suppose it's probably not such a great idea to feed the same food to different species.

Anyone ever fed their Chickens Natural Glo?

I haven't fed Natural Glo but do feed Omalene 200 which is a horse food.

Quote:
Sorry Jim, I can't say. I have never had Welsummers to compare to, but I have considered it.............. Are they better layers even though the color may not be as dark? Do they like to go broody more? Are the Welsummers chunky enough to be a good dual purpose bird or do you even consider meat? Is their tempermant as mellow? Do they play with others niceley?... It really comes down to what you yourself want out of them. I like several but will not put up with an aggressive bird. I don't want my grandchildren to grow up "afraid" of my chickens.

I would make sure it was just rice bran.... and yep... I would use it if it is... what do they use as a stabilizer.. you can buy the unstablilized kind and it is good for a year... It cost 1/3 the price of the stabilized one... and it can be fed to chickens...

It is kind of a funny statement about not feeding different species the same food...... We eat carrots and so do chickens and horses... etc.. You get my thinking.... If it is after an end and it works without harm...go for it.

Back
Top Bottom