Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
Hi,
Thank you. I started this flock in 2008 and they all came from Donna Gehrke A.K.A. Bayhorsebonne
smile.png

Quote:
It was from a black copper, but I had some close to it from a blue copper.

In fact, the very first birds I hatched that were blue coppers, laid darker eggs than the black coppers.

I don't think I have a blue copper that will beat that one though....

Quote:
It was from a black copper, but I had some close to it from a blue copper.

In fact, the very first birds I hatched that were blue coppers, laid darker eggs than the black coppers.

I don't think I have a blue copper that will beat that one though....

BUMMER!!!! But it is BEAUTIFUL!

I sure hope some of that girls eggs will be going into your hatching egg orders. On second thought I think that it is far to risky for you to keep all of those eggs in one place....you should probably send some over to me for safe keeping.
wink.png
I promise to keep them nice and warm, turn them several times a day and sit ever so patiently with my nose pressed against the bator door keeping an ever watchful eye over them.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'm speechless,.. I didn't even know that eggs could be that dark,..
th.gif
...I'm in Dark Egg newbie shock...

I was so content,.. so happy,.. with my speckled brown eggs before I saw all ya'lls lovely, fudgey brown eggs,.. now I have the envie for some of my own,..,.

cherylcohen,

Put 17 Cree W/BW Marans in the bator due to hatch on the 11th of Feb and they are all developing but one. These were local pick up so you'll know if your hatch isn't great it was the shipping. But I'll be watching and best of luck on your entire hatch. Some nice breeds you have going there.

Quote:
Thanks should be a very fun hatching week for both of us, I hatch on 10th-12th too!! congrats on your development...It's nice though because cree ships in foam shippers. I'm looking to get them made as well and hopefully be able to offer them to breeders at a good reasonable price

Off to the Stockton CA show today...showing 2 silver penciled plymouth rock hens and a black orpington - Oprah she's huge
smile.png
- BIG novice here, never been to a show let alone washed or showed a chicken! Should be a blast!

Last edited:
I read this thread from start to finish. You guys are so much fun and not so breed obsessed as the breed threads.........they get too technical and all of that and it just goes over my head. I just want pretty eggs and I really loved seeing all of your pics of eggs and your girls.
Question for anyone. I am from southern Illinois and it gets over 100 in the summer frequently and in the single digits at night on a regular basis in the winter. I have an unheated coop and was wondering how the dark egg layers did in such weather extremes. I don't want frozen combs to deal with. I am looking to hatch out eggs in the spring or purchase some chicks. I wish I could find someone local but haven't found anyone to purchase from.
Thanks for the fun reading!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom