Day 27 egg discoloration

That happened to one of my baby quail a few weeks ago :( I candled it and saw that he was struggling, but I sat on my hands. When I finally decided to take action the poor baby was already dead. I know it was just one, but I still felt really really bad.
I also know the feeling
That’s why if it’s been at least 18 hours but I shoot for 24 I make a safety hole
Pin size only and I rarely need to help them hatch it’s just enough to give them time to external pip

So good news and bad news. Bad first. The second egg with the safety hole died. I thought I saw a pip down low but I’m not sure. The eggs I got were really poop stained. When I opened the egg I found him butt up but with a vary slanted air-cell. He still had yolk left and had clearly just died. I probably should have enlarged the safety hole last night.

Good news, Baby #1 had enlarged the pip hole from yesterday. He was clearly not doing a normal zip and his peep seemed week. I have lost ducklings like this before so I intervened. I did what my chicken friend taught me to do which is to gently break the shell (not the membrane) in the pattern of a zip (pushing in gently). Then I put him back and waited. He pushed himself out about a half hour later. His entire yolk is absorbed and he has been napping and walking around the incubator. I just got him out for a quick sip of sugar/electrolytes water and put him back to fluff up. So far so good! I will head to Walmart for a mirror and stuffed animal soon.
IMG_2086.jpeg
IMG_2083.jpeg

So good news and bad news. Bad first. The second egg with the safety hole died. I thought I saw a pip down low but I’m not sure. The eggs I got were really poop stained. When I opened the egg I found him butt up but with a vary slanted air-cell. He still had yolk left and had clearly just died. I probably should have enlarged the safety hole last night.

Good news, Baby #1 had enlarged the pip hole from yesterday. He was clearly not doing a normal zip and his peep seemed week. I have lost ducklings like this before so I intervened. I did what my chicken friend taught me to do which is to gently break the shell (not the membrane) in the pattern of a zip (pushing in gently). Then I put him back and waited. He pushed himself out about a half hour later. His entire yolk is absorbed and he has been napping and walking around the incubator. I just got him out for a quick sip of sugar/electrolytes water and put him back to fluff up. So far so good! I will head to Walmart for a mirror and stuffed animal soon.
View attachment 3541305View attachment 3541307
I even have put a rubber dog toy in with one before and it just sat next to it and the mirror all day. It was a lot easier to wash off when the duckling got poop on it. Just food for thought. Congratulations!!! Your Duckling is absolutely adorable!!! So sorry the other one didn't make it.

I even have put a rubber dog toy in with one before and it just sat next to it and the mirror all day. It was a lot easier to wash off when the duckling got poop on it. Just food for thought. Congratulations!!! Your Duckling is absolutely adorable!!! So sorry the other one didn't make it.
I just got back from the store before I read this. I did happen to buy a dog toy but not a rubber one, a snuggle buddy little duck (and an auto mirror). He went right to the stuffed duck toy when I put him in the brooder. This is harder than several ducklings. How do I tell if he is hot or cold without seeing if they are snuggling all together or collapsed all over? He seems so weak and tired. But again, I probably wouldn't notice or worry if I had more to compare to.
Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 12.53.51 PM.jpeg

Hopefully, you'll see a big difference tomorrow. I bet it loves the stuffy and when it is more awake the mirror will be a comfort to it.
He started peeping until I took him out and snuggled him under my neck. Having only one might be dangerous! When I finally put him back I showed him the mirror and he went right for it and found a spot between it and the stuffed animal. :fl
Thank you for all your help and encouragement btw!
duckling.jpg

I just got back from the store before I read this. I did happen to buy a dog toy but not a rubber one, a snuggle buddy little duck (and an auto mirror). He went right to the stuffed duck toy when I put him in the brooder. This is harder than several ducklings. How do I tell if he is hot or cold without seeing if they are snuggling all together or collapsed all over? He seems so weak and tired. But again, I probably wouldn't notice or worry if I had more to compare to.
View attachment 3541668
If it is cold it will stay closer to your heat source. If hot it will move to the other end of the brooder. I have only had to have heat on mine for a week here in my house but they are all different. So happy it has its stuffy and mirror.

Back
Top Bottom