De-worming and Wazine Concern

I just discovered round worms in my broody hens poop. She hatched her chicks last Thursday so they aren't yet a week old. I'm not sure what is the best way to treat Her. I normally put DE in my flocks food but the broody is eating the chick starter and she doesn't seem to be eating very much at all. Should I put the DE in the chick starter or go right for the Wazine in their water. I don't even know if the wazine is safe for chicks? Has anyone had experience with this? P.S. My broody looks awful and this is my first hatch and hers. Do all Brody's get to lookin raggedy?
Go to Tractor Supply and get liquid Safeguard for goats and give you hen 0.23ml per pound orally for five days. Don't let them try to sell you Wazine, get the Safeguard and ignore the dosing directions, they're for goats, and goats get way less per pound than chickens do.

-Kathy

Go to Tractor Supply and get liquid Safeguard for goats and give you hen 0.23ml per pound orally for five days. Don't let them try to sell you Wazine, get the Safeguard and ignore the dosing directions, they're for goats, and goats get way less per pound than chickens do.

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy,

Just to clarify, is that 0.23 ml per pound of the hen? I don't know how much she weighs, how do you personally weigh you're birds?

Quote: Yes, that's per pound of what they weigh, and I use a digital kitchen scale to weigh mine, but if you don't have one, just google the breed and go by what the wiki page has listed for that breed. For example, a RIR hen weighs 6.5 pounds, so it would get 1.5ml orally five days in a row.

First two pictures are from:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the entrance to the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

• Get your supplies ready

• Catch and weigh your bird.

• Calculate dose and prepare one or more syringes. Please note that this method will work for those who use a 1cc/ml syringe. Anything larger is too big and IMNSHO, not safe!

Please note that I was the one holding the bird and taking the pictures, please use both hands!
  • Hold bird - I like to sit with my thighs parallel to the ground, feet firmly on ground and the bird in my lap. I hold it gently, but firmly and grab the head.

• Open mouth and wait for bird to relax.

• Insert syringe - I like to insert from left to right, across the tongue, behind the trachea, into the oesophagus. Again, wait for the bird to relax.

• Give wormer

-Kathy

Last edited:
Yes, that's per pound of what they weigh, and I use a digital kitchen scale to weigh mine, but if you don't have one, just google the breed and go by what the wiki page has listed for that breed. For example, a RIR hen weighs 6.5 pounds, so it would get 1.5ml orally five days in a row. First two pictures are from:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm The hole at the back of the tongue is the entrance to the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!
  • Get your supplies ready
  • Catch and weigh your bird.
  • Calculate dose and prepare one or more syringes. Please note that this method will work for those who use a 1cc/ml syringe. Anything larger is too big and IMNSHO, not safe!
Please note that I was the one holding the bird and taking the pictures, please use both hands!
  • Hold bird - I like to sit with my thighs parallel to the ground, feet firmly on ground and the bird in my lap. I hold it gently, but firmly and grab the head.
  • Open mouth and wait for bird to relax.
  • Insert syringe - I like to insert from left to right, across the tongue, behind the trachea, into the oesophagus. Again, wait for the bird to relax.
  • Give wormer
-Kathy
Go to Tractor Supply and get liquid Safeguard for goats and give you hen 0.23ml per pound orally for five days. Don't let them try to sell you Wazine, get the Safeguard and ignore the dosing directions, they're for goats, and goats get way less per pound than chickens do. -Kathy
Thank you. This is extremely helpful!

I just discovered round worms in my broody hens poop. She hatched her chicks last Thursday so they aren't yet a week old. I'm not sure what is the best way to treat Her. I normally put DE in my flocks food but the broody is eating the chick starter and she doesn't seem to be eating very much at all. Should I put the DE in the chick starter or go right for the Wazine in their water. I don't even know if the wazine is safe for chicks? Has anyone had experience with this? P.S. My broody looks awful and this is my first hatch and hers. Do all Brody's get to lookin raggedy?

DE wont do squat against worms. Your chicks wont have worms, only your broody hen. Give your broody hen the wazine to drink, dosage is one ounce per gallon of water for 24 hours only. Do not let your chicks drink the treated water.

If you want to worm for just roundworms and cecal worms, worm with Safeguard liquid for goats (or paste for horses, same dose) at 0.23ml per pound orally once and repeat in ten days, but if you want to treat her for more worms, like capillary worms, give wormer for five days.

-Kathy

Thank you, this is very helpful!

Has anyone heard of a product called Flubenevet? From what I've read it kills everything including gape worm but is a European product and I can't find a website to buy it here. It looks like a great product because you can still consume the eggs! Has anyone been able to get here in the States?

Back
Top Bottom