De-worming and Wazine Concern

I just discovered round worms in my broody hens poop. She hatched her chicks last Thursday so they aren't yet a week old. I'm not sure what is the best way to treat Her. I normally put DE in my flocks food but the broody is eating the chick starter and she doesn't seem to be eating very much at all. Should I put the DE in the chick starter or go right for the Wazine in their water. I don't even know if the wazine is safe for chicks? Has anyone had experience with this? P.S. My broody looks awful and this is my first hatch and hers. Do all Brody's get to lookin raggedy?

DE won't remove intestinal worms from your hen. Wazine states dosages for birds starting at 4 weeks, so I'm not sure it should be used with chicks less than that age. Dose the hen orally with Valbazen suspension at .08 cc per pound (.50 cc is fine for a 5 lb hen). Dose orally with a syringe that has no needle. I'd just keep the area cleaned up daily for the chicks until they are past 4 weeks, keep a close eye during that time, then treat their water with Wazine if you suspect worms.

DE won't remove intestinal worms from your hen. Wazine states dosages for birds starting at 4 weeks, so I'm not sure it should be used with chicks less than that age. Dose the hen orally with Valbazen suspension at .08 cc per pound (.50 cc is fine for a 5 lb hen). Dose orally with a syringe that has no needle. I'd just keep the area cleaned up daily for the chicks until they are past 4 weeks, keep a close eye during that time, then treat their water with Wazine if you suspect worms.

I would love to start a discussion on DE(Diatomaceous Earth for the newbies). I have heard so many different opinions on the effectiveness of using DE. I've also spent some time researching it online and I still don't know what to think. I will say that when I first started to use it, in the summer about 3 months ago, my flock had round worms and now they don't seem to. I check the poop regularly( right after they poop) and I haven't seen any recently. It did take a good 3 months to get rid of them. Is it because we are getting colder weather and the eggs just die of faster?

I am VERY INTERRESTED in hearing everyone's opinions and experiences with the DE?? I originally chose this product in an effort to raise an organic flock.

Regular poop is what you see most, it looks like this:

Cecal poops are less frequent, usually larger, darker, smellier and "creamier". Here is some cecal poop from some of my peafowl:

This is one that's half cecal, half regular:

I think @Eggcessive has a really good link that explains the difference, hopefully she will post it.

-Kathy

This link also has some good info, but the one @Eggcessive has is better.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

-Kathy
I don't know what link that is Kathy. Most of the cecal poop that I see looks like caramel or hershey's syrup, is very shiny, staining, and smelley. Maybe it was someone else's link.

Faeces.jpg

normal dropping on left and cecal on right.

Last edited:
Quote: I could have sworn that you were the one that posted that link (new I should have book marked it!).

Regarding the picture above, the poop on the left looks normal to me, but the one on the right seems too light in color, as well as too loose. If any of mine pooped that I would watch them very closely.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom