de-worming chickens with goat safeguard(fenbendazole)

Can I ask the dosage amount you give your birds. I'm positive my birds have round worms and I want to treat them, but I'm new to raising chickens and haven't done this before. Also.. Exactly how do you give it to them orally? This is all so confusing..
The Safeguard dose I use is: .25 ml for bantams, .5 ml for standard breeds, .75 ml for large breeds. There is math to get to this, which I can't find at the moment.....
I use a needle-less syringe that I get at my feed store. A 3 cc syringe will work, it can be hard to find smaller than that locally. As long as you can measure the amount accurately. They are called 'luer slip' syringes. I do this usually early in the morning when they are still roosting, with a shut door. I have 2 dozen birds, so I do each one and put them out of the house after dosing, so once everyone is out, I know I've done them all. Dribble the med into the front of the beak and let them swallow, don't squirt it in hard or they risk aspirating it. Another method is to place the syringe way back to the side of the beak (not in the center of their throat) and do the same. The trachea is in the center of the back of the throat, and you don't want to put it there. There is a good picture on here somewhere that I can't find at the moment, will try to find it and post later. You just don't want them to aspirate. I find that doing .5 ml to the front slowly works fine. Do whichever you are comfortable with.
Here is a video also:

The Safeguard dose I use is: .25 ml for bantams, .5 ml for standard breeds, .75 ml for large breeds. There is math to get to this, which I can't find at the moment.....
I use a needle-less syringe that I get at my feed store. A 3 cc syringe will work, it can be hard to find smaller than that locally. As long as you can measure the amount accurately. They are called 'luer slip' syringes. I do this usually early in the morning when they are still roosting, with a shut door. I have 2 dozen birds, so I do each one and put them out of the house after dosing, so once everyone is out, I know I've done them all. Dribble the med into the front of the beak and let them swallow, don't squirt it in hard or they risk aspirating it. Another method is to place the syringe way back to the side of the beak (not in the center of their throat) and do the same. The trachea is in the center of the back of the throat, and you don't want to put it there. There is a good picture on here somewhere that I can't find at the moment, will try to find it and post later. You just don't want them to aspirate. I find that doing .5 ml to the front slowly works fine. Do whichever you are comfortable with.
Here is a video also:
Thank you so much...

This is not the picture I wanted, but it will do, this is where the trachea is and where you do not want medication to go.
LL

Fenbenzadole will take care of most of the common parasites. I don't treat with anything else following the second dose after 10 days. I mainly treat for roundworms in my flock and I alternate fenbenzadole and albendazole (Valbazen) for worming, and I will likely add a third med to my rotation. Rotating meds is to prevent building resistance in case any worm does survive the meds.
I also follow treatment with probiotics for a few days to help get their gut back in balance.
How often you will need to worm will depend on the worm load in your environment. I am in north FL and I have to worm every 3 to 4 months. Every flock is different.

Fenbenzadole will take care of most of the common parasites. I don't treat with anything else following the second dose after 10 days. I mainly treat for roundworms in my flock and I alternate fenbenzadole and albendazole (Valbazen) for worming, and I will likely add a third med to my rotation. Rotating meds is to prevent building resistance in case any worm does survive the meds.
I also follow treatment with probiotics for a few days to help get their gut back in balance.
How often you will need to worm will depend on the worm load in your environment. I am in north FL and I have to worm every 3 to 4 months. Every flock is different.
Okay. I'm in North Georgia and it rains a lot here. I'll do some research to how often I should cause I don't want to wait until my birds are suffering for me to notice they are infested again. Thank you so much for your help.

well-they ARE infested(thus the "unnatural" stuff now unfortunately) and I want to start doing the apple cider vinager as a preventative because that seems realistic to me .

Since this thread is almost 8 years old, you probably have already figured this out, but others who read this may not yet know:
Be sure to use a poly (plastic) watering basin or can instead of the common galvanized watering can when adding apple cider vinegar as the acidity will cause the zinc (galvanization) to dissolve resulting in severe corrosion of the can. We learned the 'hard way.'

Quote:
I've never used ivomec 1% injectable, I dont know the dosage to be given orally. However, it can be added to water to worm your chickens; 4cc per gallon of water, leave it out for them to drink 2 days in a row, then discard, it must be their sole source of water during those 2 days. 14 days later dose them with the safeguard 10% suspension liquid goat wormer; 3cc per gallon of water. Leave it out for 2 days, then discard. It must be their sole source of water. Discard eggs for 14 days after using the ivomec, and 14 days after using the fenbendazole.
What is the dosage recommendation if using ivomec sheep drench instead of the injectable strength of ivomec?
If the eggs can't be used for consumption can they be used for hatching?

What is the dosage recommendation if using ivomec sheep drench instead of the injectable strength of ivomec?
If the eggs can't be used for consumption can they be used for hatching?
That is very old information and I would disregard it if I were you. I quit using ivomec products years ago due to ineffectiveness treating poultry worms.

Back
Top Bottom