de-worming chickens with goat safeguard(fenbendazole)

casportpony

Kathy, were you able to see video above?? Haven't heard back from you about it?? Was just wondering... I have also been taking pics of her poops all day pretty much yesterday and was wondering if it would be OK to send those to you for an opinion on them?? Just don't look right lately?? Always watery and thin in summer.. Florida heat is pretty drastic!! She drinks water constantly almost, as well as stands in her big container we have for her to do just this as its how she cools herself down. So it's just a pretty normal thing for most of them down here to poop pretty this and watery due to the high water consumption. Once fall begins, they're back to solid and formed with the white caps pretty much, other then the cecal ones of course. However, lately they're having a yellow tinge instead of being more clear looking?? Normally they just look like greenish color poop mixed in or with clear liquid. So I just don't know and I'd really like to get this figured out once and for all and just know WHAT is going on with her.. if anything really?? Because she IS acting totally normal now again finally. She's eating the feed again, seems to have a good appetite, always looking for a treat PLUS eating her feed as well, as I just mentioned. She's active, curious, running about the porch when she's not outside in the backyard run, loves to come into the kitchen for some cool AC and a nice nap, scratches for bugs and things when outside, takes her dirt baths and eats plenty of grass... all as she's always done!!?? So WHY is so still down in weight.... seems to be just stuck at the 5.30lb mark?? THAT'S really the only thing I'm actually SEEING that's worrying the bejeebers outta me and I don't know what to do to get her to put on weight?? I would prefer NOT to have to tube her because she's eating fine... she's just not gaining anymore?? Oh there is one thing that I DO FIND STRANGE BTW. She has ALWAYS had 24/7 access to oyster shell but just never paid much mind to it and I've rarely seen her eat any. Yet now, she is literally GLUED to that bowl?? She just eats the heck outta it all of a sudden?? Does that blow any whistles at you by any chance?? Could she have some kind of deficiency of something maybe??

I just don't know..... so ANY thoughts or ideas, as usual would really help. Thanks so much and the video above shows her head shake in the first 10 to 15 seconds.
D

Last edited:
OK, gape worms are found in the mouth. Mites & lice are found in the feathers and on skin......

- Round worms - treat with Wazine, it only kills round worms, put in water

- Ivomectrian - injectable, Eprinex pour on, apply either one to bare skin. kills lice , mites, and many types of worms

- Safeguard - liquid goat wormer is easiest, 3cc per gallon of drinking water 3-5 days or 1cc per 10lbs body weight down throat. Kills most type worms but not lice/mites

It is best to rotate wormers through out year so parasites do not build up resistance to one type.

What is the egg withdrawl period? Thanks.

OK, gape worms are found in the mouth. Mites & lice are found in the feathers and on skin......

- Round worms - treat with Wazine, it only kills round worms, put in water

- Ivomectrian - injectable, Eprinex pour on, apply either one to bare skin. kills lice , mites, and many types of worms

- Safeguard - liquid goat wormer is easiest, 3cc per gallon of drinking water 3-5 days or 1cc per 10lbs body weight down throat. Kills most type worms but not lice/mites

It is best to rotate wormers through out year so parasites do not build up resistance to one type.

Do you have to repeat with the safeguard in a certain number of days?

Last edited:
What is the egg withdrawl period? Thanks.

Do you have to repeat with the safeguard in a certain number of days?

Egg withdrawl recommendation is 2 weeks following dose.
Usually you do two doses 10 days apart, thus about 28 days total egg withdrawl.
I've never mixed safeguard in the water, only directly dosed the birds. Then no question that everyone got the correct dose.

I've never mixed safeguard in the water, only directly dosed the birds. Then no question that everyone got the correct dose.

Apologies for my bad math!! Total withdrawl time, if 2nd worming was 10 days after first would be 24 days, not 28.
Just wanted to clarify.

Oh never mind now I see. Duh I'm a little slow sometimes. Lol You add 14 to the 10 days between doses!!! Lol Sorry about that. But since we've just finished worming our 2 girls, would we just wait 14 days now before eating the eggs again?
Thanks so much for your help with this!

Last edited:
1st worming (lets say it's on the 1st day of the month), starts 14 day withdrawl. 2nd worming takes place on the 10th of the month and the 2nd 14 days starts then (the 4 remaining days from the 1st dose are during that second 14 days of withdrawl). So 10 + 14 = 24 days total. Sorry for the confusion. If you were to miss a day or two between the two doses it would be extended by that much. So, basically, for two doses, withdrawl would be from 1st dose until 14 days after 2nd dose. I hope that clears it up. The 10 day spacing is to kill any worm eggs that hatch after the 1st dose before they are mature enough to lay more eggs.

Can I ask the dosage amount you give your birds. I'm positive my birds have round worms and I want to treat them, but I'm new to raising chickens and haven't done this before. Also.. Exactly how do you give it to them orally? This is all so confusing..

Back
Top Bottom