Dealing with neighbors dogs

mrsbrookeg

Hatching
Apr 20, 2015
I'm looking for any kind of advice... We live on a little country road and our neighbor is my husband's sister. They have a large german shepherd which they refuse to keep on their own property. It is known around the neighborhood as being a destructive dog. Last year we had a goat and her dog killed it in our backyard. This caused a huge blow up where we asked them to keep their dog off of our property. She always says that she doesn’t want to tie up her dog because she feels sorry for it, to which we respond, “that isn’t our problem”. They ended up keeping their dog under control for a month or so and then let it run everywhere again. Fast forward to now and we just built a chicken coop and bought 5 chickens. My daughter is already so attached to these chickens. Last night we looked out and saw her dog hanging around the chicken coop. We ran it off, but there’s no way we can be there all the time to make sure they’re okay. I want to approach my sister in law about it, but I also don’t want WW3 to erupt. It complicates things because she is both a neighbor and family. Suggestions please??

I'm looking for any kind of advice... We live on a little country road and our neighbor is my husband's sister. They have a large german shepherd which they refuse to keep on their own property. It is known around the neighborhood as being a destructive dog. Last year we had a goat and her dog killed it in our backyard. This caused a huge blow up where we asked them to keep their dog off of our property. She always says that she doesn’t want to tie up her dog because she feels sorry for it, to which we respond, “that isn’t our problem”. They ended up keeping their dog under control for a month or so and then let it run everywhere again. Fast forward to now and we just built a chicken coop and bought 5 chickens. My daughter is already so attached to these chickens. Last night we looked out and saw her dog hanging around the chicken coop. We ran it off, but there’s no way we can be there all the time to make sure they’re okay. I want to approach my sister in law about it, but I also don’t want WW3 to erupt. It complicates things because she is both a neighbor and family. Suggestions please??

There are a couple of things you could do here.

First, the dog in question is not going to be the only issue you encounter, so a non-confrontational and more "big picture" approach is going to be to beef up your property to prevent attack by not only this dog but any predator. If you provide photos of your setup we may be able to help you determine how secure your coop/run are as they stand today and suggest ways that you can better protect your flock. Is fencing your property an option? Again, this would address not just the dog in question, but create an additional barrier between your flock and other strays, roaming dogs, certain predators, etc.

Second - arm yourself with knowledge. Find out what the ordinances are for your area with regards to domestic animals (pets) and harassment of livestock, also with regards to domestic pet animals "at large" in general. Get a copy of the actual ordinances. This is where you have a choice to make - you can either approach your SIL or you can keep your knowledge to yourself. If/when the dog comes back you can a) call A/C and have the dog picked up, b) SSS (Shoot Shovel and Shut up - this is one you want to refer to the ordinance to verify your rights as a livestock owner) which would avoid the confrontation until she comes looking for her dog and you would have to decide if you would tell her or just let her wonder what happened, c) catch the dog and call your SIL to pick up the dog and let her know this was the ONE pass and next time there will be no phone call and no more dog - present her with a copy of the ordinances you found or d) talk to her now vs. waiting for that to happen.

Unless an actual attack is taking place, I am not going to SSS on the first encounter - if I know who owns the dog and they are a person I feel I can approach, I will speak to them face-to-face to let them know their dog was harassing our animals and that the dog needs to be kept off my property or I will take the next step. BUT - you have already done this and she has made NO change, she had her chance. If the person is not approachable, I would have the animal picked up - they can either find it at the shelter or not, either way the dog is no longer a problem to my livestock for the time being and, if they do pick the dog up they will be paying a fine and being told why their dog was picked up so would hopefully make corrective action. If an animal is actually in the process of attacking my livestock, all bets are off - my responsibility to my livestock trumps my feelings about someone else's pet that they can't be bothered to keep care of.

Ultimately, whether it starts WWIII or not, you have to do what is right for you and your animals. Frankly, *my* SIL would not have had a dog after the loss of my goat.

Would they consider installing an invisible fence? We have one (it was an easy weekend DIY project) enclosing around 3 acres. Our dog won't cross it for anything. Our daughter & son-in-law are our closest neighbors and have one for their 2 dogs. As long as the dog is properly trained and the fence/collar maintained, it works like a charm.

We bought our 6 years ago on Amazon for around $200. we had the extra wire we needed to enclosed the large area, but we also bought an extra pack of flags and a lightening protector. Best dog $$ ever spent!

Thanks for the advice. I don't have pictures with me at the moment, however I can try to describe it. We have an upper coop that is completely closed in except for a ramp going down in the bottom. The bottom is grass and is completely surrounded by chicken wire. The top of the run is completely covered by the upper coop, so nothing can get in from the top. My real concern is a dog digging in under the fencing. When my husband installed the fencing, he dug down and buried large tree branches below the fencing to help deter digging, but if the dog were to go deep enough, it would get through. Do you know of any ways to deter dogs from digging?

An Invisible Fence would be great, the problem is that they are un-willing to do anything to contain their dog. Any suggestions we make are just taken defensively.

chicken wire will keep chickens in but nothing else out really. As far as the limb and digging most animals that dig to get thru will do so close to the enclosar and if they hit a barrier will give up. They do not think to move further back and dig under or around. I would be more concerned with the use of the chicken wire can you upgrade to something else?
I am not sure where you live or what the ordinance is for dogs in your area but if the dog already has reputation of being destructive if they choice do nothing then you are really left with no choice. In my area if a dog was to kill a neighbors goat on their property animal control can but the dog down. Do they understand doing nothing is most likely going to end up with the dog paying the ultimate price when they can just put a fence up. You have given many passes and have been more then gracious imho. It sounds like they are leaving you with no choice really but to get animal control involved or using what old grey mare suggested.

Where are you located? My entire state (GA) has a leash law, so nobody in any rural area can say there are no leash laws. Your state may be the same. What are your laws about shooting dogs harassing livestock? You must know your laws so you have a course of action. People are insane if they think domestic dogs must roam to be happy, but there those people.

I have a ZERO tolerance policy for irresponsible dog owners. My birds come first, now and always. I realize not everyone owns a firearm, of course, but you really must report them to the authorities, get photos of the dog on your property if you catch it there so they can't say he wasn't there. Until you get the dog taken care of, try to make your pen secure. NO chicken wire! That is weak.

Last edited:
You can't wait for them to do the right thing. I would just drop it. You have to do what you have to do if you intend to keep the chickens for any time. Chicken wire will not keep that dog out. Reinforce it with hardware cloth or chainlink. Build an apron around the coop and run out of WIRE to prevent digging. Install a hotwire fence around the perimeter of your property to keep all strays out not just her dog. Others will show up once they know you have chickens. I would buy a livestock on, not a wimpy dog one. I want it to deliver a zap they will remember.

SSS
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom