December 2023 hatch-a-long

I’ll probably be setting some eggs on the 4th, so I can join in. I have 3 eggs which should hatch in a week and a half. All polish eggs, those are my only priority at the moment. Next year I’ll likely focus on bantam cochins, and also hatch eggs sired by my favorite laying flock rooster as well though. Lovely to see this thread up. I was honestly waiting for a December one to pop up, but since it’s so late in the year I wasn’t confident it’d happen.

w
I do this with about every hatch. most of the time I only write on them after I know they are started/developed for 3 days and remove clears.
I have hatched many this year, I think success has to do with where i get eggs.
I usually get my eggs from feed store fridge. Depending on which farm they come from, some hatch better than others. I do not believe it had anything to do with ink.
I have also had eggs shipped that were marked, from farms from another state.
View attachment 3685684
These hatched 17/24 once again i do not think it was the ink. probably just the shipping.

below is one of my last hatch-
View attachment 3685696
Below is a pic of the ten, plus 2 older chicks that were from the batch before them, (to help raise them.) hard to get everyone in the shot.View attachment 3686826

I never set under 6 eggs, then I will always have extras, this batch that hatched out 10.
I have a halloween hatch that hatched 11, I had power out for a overnight, and the eggs were cold when found, but they still eventually hatched. Even with ink.

I have been hatching for over 30 years.
what a great idea!

NNmontana.PNG

I had 7 hatch, but they hatched on different days so these are already in the brooder...

The ones below are still in the incubator, 2 are NN one hatched this am on day 22
NNmonta.PNG
nnmont.PNG

nnmon.PNG

I set 8 eggs to hatch on Christmas. 5/8 are fertile and alive, yay.

I also had two chicks hatch the 12/13th. Healthy, happy little cheepers. The first week is usually the most fragile and risky for my polish chickens-which these are. So far, no issues, so I’m expecting them to survive. Funnily enough, one of these chicks hatched from the wrong end! My first time seeing a chick pip from the narrow end.
A0B9EC4D-6451-4174-A295-116B6552463D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom