December Hatch-A-Long!

WARNING - Graphic pictures posted below.

idunno.gif
Well...none of my eggs made it. I went through them carefully and there were no live chicks. I had a pip yesterday. And I could hear something peeping so I left everything until I got home last night. I noticed a small show of fluid underneath the egg. I candled and saw that the pip wasn't where the air cell was. I ever so carefully pulled a bit of shell off so I could peel a bit of the membrane back. There was no movement or signs of life so I peeled everything off carefully to expose a poor little fellow who did not make it. The yolk sac has not been fully absorbed and is exposed. I'm thinking the chick drowned?

I should also mention that my incubator was either at 102 or 104 when we got home. (I was too quick to open the bator to cool it down to take proper notice of the temps) But there was still movement in the New year's eggs and there was peeping last night and this morning, so I'm thinking it wasn't hot enough long enough to kill the eggs.

Tonight there was no peeping when I got home from supper...so I candled and I felt something may be wrong. I carefully opened up each egg, starting at the air cell.
Two eggs that must of died earlier showed liquid in the egg (right egg below).
A couple eggs had developed chicks that didn't look 100% ready to hatch.
Three eggs had fully developed chicks that looked ready to hatch.

The fellow to the left was possibly the one peeping. He was perfectly ready to hatch.

I'm not exactly sure what happened. I'm wondering if the chicks look a bit "shrink wrapped" for my liking. (above picture) Perhaps higher humidity should be in order?

I'm a bit disappointed...but it's a learning experience. I look forward to be home when the next bunch are ready as opposed to being busy and away yesterday and today. Maybe I would have caught things quicker if I'd have been home. Maybe that wouldn't have helped...lol. I'll see if things can be improved for the New Year's hatch.
thumbsup.gif

WARNING - Graphic pictures posted below.

idunno.gif
Well...none of my eggs made it. I went through them carefully and there were no live chicks. I had a pip yesterday. And I could hear something peeping so I left everything until I got home last night. I noticed a small show of fluid underneath the egg. I candled and saw that the pip wasn't where the air cell was. I ever so carefully pulled a bit of shell off so I could peel a bit of the membrane back. There was no movement or signs of life so I peeled everything off carefully to expose a poor little fellow who did not make it. The yolk sac has not been fully absorbed and is exposed. I'm thinking the chick drowned?

I should also mention that my incubator was either at 102 or 104 when we got home. (I was too quick to open the bator to cool it down to take proper notice of the temps) But there was still movement in the New year's eggs and there was peeping last night and this morning, so I'm thinking it wasn't hot enough long enough to kill the eggs.

Tonight there was no peeping when I got home from supper...so I candled and I felt something may be wrong. I carefully opened up each egg, starting at the air cell.
Two eggs that must of died earlier showed liquid in the egg (right egg below).
A couple eggs had developed chicks that didn't look 100% ready to hatch.
Three eggs had fully developed chicks that looked ready to hatch.

The fellow to the left was possibly the one peeping. He was perfectly ready to hatch.

I'm not exactly sure what happened. I'm wondering if the chicks look a bit "shrink wrapped" for my liking. (above picture) Perhaps higher humidity should be in order?

I'm a bit disappointed...but it's a learning experience. I look forward to be home when the next bunch are ready as opposed to being busy and away yesterday and today. Maybe I would have caught things quicker if I'd have been home. Maybe that wouldn't have helped...lol. I'll see if things can be improved for the New Year's hatch.
thumbsup.gif
I'm so sorry you lost your chicks!! Good luck on your NY's hatch!

Read somewhere on this site suggesting reduce temp to @98 for lockdown. Anyone have any ideas on controlling higher humidity for hatching?

Hmmm...ok. I know I must have been running at lower temps last time, possibly too low. BUT, maybe this is too high. And I certainly didn't expect it to be as high as it was when I got home from Christmas supper...yikes! Thank you...I'm going to look into that.
highfive.gif

Regarding the humidity, do you mean as in keeping it at a higher humidity or controlling it to a specific humidity?

Well, I've got 8 that didn't make it to lockdown. Three of the Bielfelder eggs didn't make it, blood rings & rolling air cells. The fourth one is a darker shell, can't see details through it. They may have been damaged from shipping. A couple of my eggs look like they are ready to hatch early.

We've got 20 Seramas going into lockdown in 4 days and about 15 Paint Silkies being moved into a separate incubator at that point, since they have a couple extra days. So far, so good. The new 4250 incubator is holding its own pretty well. :)

Back
Top Bottom