December Hatch-A-Long!

I'm on day 19 with 10 Swedish Flower eggs in the bator. I hatched only 4 of 19 EEs last month (12 went into lockdown and 7 of those were definitely viable at lockdown with a few in question). I feel some of it was my fault because I wouldn't stop meddling and opening the bator during lockdown. So, I've vowed to leave it totally alone except for adding water as needed until the first external pip. Then nada until it's done! Keeping fingers crossed I have a better hatch this time!
Oooh...you're almost there. (SO exciting!)
woot.gif
Here's hoping all goes very well.
fl.gif
Would love to see pics of chicks once you hatch!

I'm REALLY new to incubating so please take that into consideration. I'm certainly NOT experienced to give advice. In my case, I have a DYI incubator with a wafer thermometer (only adjustable inside...I've got to change that) and no egg turner...so I'm in it often. I did staggered hatches this summer and I never had a lockdown because I still had to turn eggs. So I'm just gonna say I'm not sure there's any fault from you.

I'm really curious to see how my hatching goes for this hal, because some eggs were a month old when I started incubation...but all eggs are clean. Much better than before.
yesss.gif
Of course, I also have my own eggs so this learning phase isn't quite so painful. I don't feel confident in buying eggs quite yet. We'll see after I do these hatch-a-longs.
celebrate.gif

Oooh...you're almost there. (SO exciting!) :woot   Here's hoping all goes very well. :fl   Would love to see pics of chicks once you hatch!

I'm REALLY new to incubating so please take that into consideration. I'm certainly NOT experienced to give advice. In my case, I have a DYI incubator with a wafer thermometer (only adjustable inside...I've got to change that) and no egg turner...so I'm in it often. I did staggered hatches this summer and I never had a lockdown because I still had to turn eggs. So I'm just gonna say I'm not sure there's any fault from you.

I'm really curious to see how my hatching goes for this hal, because some eggs were a month old when I started incubation...but all eggs are clean. Much better than before. :yesss:  Of course, I also have my own eggs so this learning phase isn't quite so painful. I don't feel confident in buying eggs quite yet. We'll see after I do these hatch-a-longs.:celebrate  

You don't need to turn the eggs from day 18, at this point you fill up your water and sit on your hands until they all hatch.

Quote:

You don't need to turn the eggs from day 18, at this point you fill up your water and sit on your hands until they all hatch.

That's very true, if one's doing a normal hatch...which I think most people are doing. (Smart people!
bow.gif
)

I, on the other hand...am a little bit unorthodox.
celebrate.gif
I'm doing a staggered hatch. I've got the eggs for this thread incubating (marked with green)...and on the 11th, I'm adding the rest of my eggs in the same incubator for the New Year HAL thread (marked with red to keep with the Holiday theme, of course.) If the hens keep laying the way they are (3 eggs today...
woot.gif
) I'll actually be stacking the eggs...lol. (I'll have to take a pic...lol) I'll raise the humidity as you normally would and I won't turn the first setting of eggs anymore...but I still go in and turn the rest of the eggs. Keeps things interesting.

Nobody said I was normal.
gig.gif

Yikes! Lots to do there wicked.

I'm trying to sit on my hands, day 21 starts in about 10 hours and still no pips. After my first incubation failed I've done everything I can to make this one work. Only lost one that started before lock down. Too much anxiety excitement this time around.

Yikes! Lots to do there wicked.

I'm trying to sit on my hands, day 21 starts in about 10 hours and still no pips. After my first incubation failed I've done everything I can to make this one work. Only lost one that started before lock down. Too much anxiety excitement this time around.

I like a challenge?
idunno.gif

Is it already going to be day 21 for you? Omg...I'm excited!!
wee.gif
I'm wishing and hoping for the very best for you and your chickies!
fl.gif

Wow, losing only one egg, that's awesome! (I think) I'd say I lost the majority of mine between the 7 and 18th day; dirtier eggs and a few porous eggs. I wasn't surprised. The first eggs were beyond old. And I do wonder if my temps were too low now that I calibrated thermometers.

Please keep us updated to any progress.
pop.gif

Holy...I read back and it is already going to be day 21 for you, hodor. If it helps, I didn't see pipping for most until mid morning on day 21. I think I had one or two that hatched day 20 but that was it. I had one hatch that were a bit shrink wrapped so I helped out and I had one chick that was breach! I just had a feeling...lol.

I'm attempting a stagger hatch. But when the chickens move to lockdown, the turkeys and ducks will be moved to another incubator. I didnt think to have that one warm, and I haven't tested it yet so none of my precious babies for it.

Back
Top Bottom