Delawares from kathyinmo

I bought 12 hatching eggs from Chickcharney farm in NC and hope to order in some chicks in late May. Their birds and philosophy seem to fit what we wanted.

The plan is to process those that will be processed at 20 weeks. This farm's birds average a 4.5 lb dressed carcass at that age raised on an 18% feed.

We did not want a fast growing eating/pooping monstrosity commercial bird that could not grow to maturity (without becoming crippled) and reproduce and we wanted a heritage breed.

Here is a snip from the Chickcharney farm website

I bought 12 hatching eggs from Chickcharney farm in NC and hope to order in some chicks in late May. Their birds and philosophy seem to fit what we wanted.

The plan is to process those that will be processed at 20 weeks. This farm's birds average a 4.5 lb dressed carcass at that age raised on an 18% feed.

We did not want a fast growing eating/pooping monstrosity commercial bird that could not grow to maturity (without becoming crippled) and reproduce and we wanted a heritage breed.

Here is a snip from the Chickcharney farm website

Julie has some nice Delawares but this thread is about a Bonham recreated strain - I think you would find these would hold up type wise against any - at least that I have seen.

Hi folks. Still kicking just not so high. My computer messes up these days and I just don't have enough hours in a day to be here. Volunteering at the school three days this year. DW goes in with me on Tuesday to make a cake for dessert.

She's a very good cook. Made ham and tater salad for a friend whos' husband just passed. We've taken some stuff over to them off and on. Eggs plus whatever else.

A lot of our friends are sick and so we're doing a lot of visiting and dropping off dinner and coffee and whatever else.

This winter was tough on us all. Still have much to be thankful for.

Have been downsizing so DW and I can travel. Booked for Alaska next month. Son is now there. Moved from FL to Alaska. We'll stay with them otherwise we couldn't really go.

DD will be here to take care of the chickens. Any guesses which birds are remaining?

Delawares of course. Plus Marans and EE's.

Frenchy just hatched out three chicks. She's my little frizzle who turned 8 in Feb. She too is staying of course.

Planted taters this year and have plants started for the garden. Hope they hurry up and grow a bit more. AND the weather is good. I'd like to get things in the garden before we leave.

Too we have grandkids here that visit and don't want to go home. Here's a pic of gramma and Donovan watching his favorite Thomas the Train. Not much gets done when that boy is here.

DW did find time to make some jackets for granddaughter in Alaska and grandson in TX. She's very talented. Which of course is why I married her.
wink.png

Well take care folks and be well,

Love ya,

Rancher, not enough hours in a day, Hicks.

Hi folks. Still kicking just not so high. My computer messes up these days and I just don't have enough hours in a day to be here. Volunteering at the school three days this year. DW goes in with me on Tuesday to make a cake for dessert.

She's a very good cook. Made ham and tater salad for a friend whos' husband just passed. We've taken some stuff over to them off and on. Eggs plus whatever else.

A lot of our friends are sick and so we're doing a lot of visiting and dropping off dinner and coffee and whatever else.

This winter was tough on us all. Still have much to be thankful for.

Have been downsizing so DW and I can travel. Booked for Alaska next month. Son is now there. Moved from FL to Alaska. We'll stay with them otherwise we couldn't really go.

DD will be here to take care of the chickens. Any guesses which birds are remaining?

Delawares of course. Plus Marans and EE's.

Frenchy just hatched out three chicks. She's my little frizzle who turned 8 in Feb. She too is staying of course.

Planted taters this year and have plants started for the garden. Hope they hurry up and grow a bit more. AND the weather is good. I'd like to get things in the garden before we leave.

Too we have grandkids here that visit and don't want to go home. Here's a pic of gramma and Donovan watching his favorite Thomas the Train. Not much gets done when that boy is here.

DW did find time to make some jackets for granddaughter in Alaska and grandson in TX. She's very talented. Which of course is why I married her.
wink.png

Well take care folks and be well,

Love ya,

Rancher, not enough hours in a day, Hicks.

Have a great trip - Alaska is a place I always wanted to visit but my toes wouldn't want me living there in Winter.

Were have you been Rancher-? Hope all is well and have a Happy New Year.
I've gone back to work. While only part time, time is limited. Too and more importantly DW is not doing well. She just came home from the hospital. Nurse here today and I am so tired. Son here from Alaska for a bit. DD came from TX over the Christmas holiday and I do miss the help. I'm trying to hang on to my chickens but care taking is harder. I need strength to downsize severely but the Delawares will be the last to go. Too I need to keep them for Frenchy who will be 10 on Feb 20. Take care folks and be well.

Back
Top Bottom