Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

Quote:
This sounds great. Thanks, Spooky!
thumbsup.gif

Here is my favorite recipe for Chicken Corn Soup that comes from a little book on PA Dutch cooking. It makes a lot of soup and is delicious! Enjoy!

Chicken Corn Soup

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Ready In: 2 Hours
Servings: 12

"Rivals (a crumb-sized egg noodle) and hard boiled eggs complete this Pennsylvania Dutch recipe for chicken soup with celery and corn fresh off the cob."

Ingredients:
1 (4 pound) chicken
1 onion, chopped
4 quarts water
1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn or fresh corn cut from the cob
1/2 cup chopped celery
salt and pepper to taste
Rivels
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
1 egg
1/4 cup milk

2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped

Directions:
1. In a large stock pot cover chicken and onion with water. Cook slowly until tender, approximately 1 hour. Remove chicken, let cool and remove meat from bones. Cut meat into 1 inch pieces, discard skin and bones.
2. Cut corn from cobs if using fresh corn.
3. Add corn, cut up chicken, celery to stock pot and season with salt and pepper. Simmer soup for 10 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl make rivels by mixing together flour, salt, egg, and enough milk to form small crumbs.
5. Drop rivels into soup and add hard boiled eggs. Simmer for 15 minutes and serve hot.

flitters

2 cups of flour
enough water to make thin biscut dough

pan of hot greese spoon into pan like a pan cake and fry

fried corn bread
1 c corn meal
1/2 c. flour
1 egg
mix together and fry like a pan cake
they are great I made some today for supper

I make my own Instant Hot Chocolate Mix

2 cups instant nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup cocoa, unsweetened (Powdered baking cocoa)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup sugar

I just put it all in a air tight container. Then close it, and shake the ingredients up.

Add desired amount of mix to hot water. Yum hot cocoa..

*I will find more recipes later.*

Edited: I cant seem to spell right.. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite soup and usually have everything on hand anyway....
Potato Noodle Ball Soup

4-6 potatoes cut into bite size pieces
1 onion diced (optional)

Enough water to cover and boil until tender but not mushy.

Add 1-2cups milk bring back to a boil and if I have it I'll add some velveeta or cream cheese.

Mix 1 or 2 eggs with enough flour to make them durable and drop into soup. They only need about 10-15minutes to cook.
Season with Salt and pepper and serve.

Sooo yummy, if I have it I'll add chopped celery or if not celery salt instead of regular salt. Leftover ham can be added as well. It's something my grandmother always made and is just a comfort food I love!

This recipe is one I developed when we had absolutely NO money. Don,t laugh, they are very good! They can be re-heated in the microwave. They can be made healthier if you substitute whole wheat flour for the white flour. You can add different herbs.
You can add cheese or veggies. Great with tomato soup. As far as I know, as the inventor, only my family has made these, although I did post them one other time on a food mag site. I would love to hear input back,as the recipe is so strange!

Ramen Bicuits

1 pkg ramen ( I used chicken)
2 c very hot water

2 tbs butter or margarine- melted
1/2 c buttermilk (or plain yogurt) or milk with 1 tsp vinegar added
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp parsley dried, add more if using fresh
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
preheat oven to 375 degrees
spray 4 cups of a muffin tin including top with cooking spray (or oil well)

Break ramen into 4 pieces
Put with packet of soup base into a bowl and soak for 5 minutes
DRAIN VERY WELL

whisk all other ingredients together

put about 1 tbs of batter into each cup, top with softned, noodles and finish with remaining batter
bake until golden about 15 minutes- eat hot

good topped with anything gooey or creamy, ie. creamed chicken, creamed tuna, spaghetti sauce etc......

smile.png
This may not be very helpful...but if you can...
Buy an amish cookbook.
There are lots of interesting recipes in them, and the book is usually thick with recipes...
NOTE...some you will have to have a little knowledge in cooking to understand them...(the way the ingredients are listed, etc...)
I have found my book to be very, very helpful...with many oldtime recipes in them.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom