Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

One of my sisters gave me this recipe:

Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa
1 cuppa flour
1 cuppa sugar
1 cuppa canned fruit

Mix all 3 ingredients together.
Put into a small casserole container or other container.
I don't remember the temperature to bake at, but this is my fave temperature, bake at 400 degrees, until brown on top. It will be bubbling.
Let cool for 5 minutes.
Serve with vanilla ice cream, or, eat as is.

My children ask me when am I going to make poor people's cobbler?
wink.png

Last edited:
I have enjoyed all the recipes. Most of them I grew up eating and still fix for my family. The peanut butter cookies (I made and took to a church social a few years ago, one of our 90+ year old gentlemen had trouble stopping eating them. He had not had them in years and appreciated them very much). Potato candy, hamburger gravy and mashed potatoes, macaroni and tomatoes, fresh baked bread, homemade noodles which made creamed turkey or chicken dishes. Creamed meat dishes served over bisquits. Dandelion salad with rose petals. Lol these are all comfort foods in our house as well as shepherds pie. Salmon croquettes with white sauce or salmon soup. Low country boil. Tonight was a lentil and veggie soup with dumplings and homemade yogurt for dessert.

DH favorite meal is sliced potatoes in a casserole dish with fried pork chops on top. Cream of mushroom soup is poured over potatoes and chops then baked until potatoes are done. He said he only married me for this dish.
lau.gif
He is so goofy. Everybody knows we got married because I had the furniture and he had the empty house.
gig.gif
or was it because of all the money he made.... NOT!
smack.gif

My family actually prefers all the "depression era" food and can become grouchy when favorite dishes aren't served.

My mother would slice green onions place between 2 slices of buttered bread with a dash of salt. OR
Green onions sliced, bacon fried and crumbled onto onions with hot grease poured over it and made into sandwiches.
And who can forget wilted lettuce with hot vinegar, or cucumber and onion slices marinated in seasoned vinegar.
Diced red tomatoes, onions marinated in italian dressing with cooked sausage links or kielbasa sliced and served over italian bread.

The garden was our friend. Shame our entire garden was destroyed this year due to flooding.

Want to see a family line up at the stove, fry up those green tomatoes. They eat them faster than I can cook them.

I guess we must have been poor when I was growing up, not sure because of the foods we ate, we were always full and content and thought we were getting treats. It may have just been a throw back from when my parents were kids.
hu.gif

I learned alot from my mother, she died at 54, how to sew, cook, clean, garden, build, reupholster and refinish furniture and to make something out of nothing (now called trash to treasure). Most without using modern chemicals and stains and things. Miss her terribly, she was my best friend.
hit.gif
Dad taught me plumbing, electrical wiring, roofing and auto repair. He said he never wanted us to be dependent to pay someone else to do the work for us.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
My grammy used to made this soup..Our whole family loved it.She had 4 daughters and not one of them could make it like her....She pasted away a few years ago. At one family gathering I brought a pot full and everyone thought it was grammys', Now I have to make it every time we all get together.(I love to do it!) I miss cooking with grammy ...she taught me alot about cooking on a thin budget!

And I sometimes like to add bacon ..just a little....

one of my grandmothers favorite meals was.... canned corned beef simmered with diced onions and a little water and topped with baked biscuits to absorb the gravy...strange but good

Quote:
I don't think you have been to the dollar store lately, that dollar box of crackers has gone up to $1.37, and only has 3 stacks of crackers in it. I used to buy them often since DH and my pitt like the jalapano(sp) cheese dip. I still buy them but not as often. marrie

sundance, try to find a Dollar Tree or 99 cent store. They are the only "dollar" stores I know of now where the prices are $1 or $0.99 per item. The 99 cent store was in Houston area, but we have Dollar Tree up here. Some of the grocery stores around here are adding a small section of $1 items to compete with the Dollar Tree. Just be careful, because sometimes their $1 items are less expensive on the regular shelves!

My parents were born 1917 & 1918, and both came from large families that farmed. The majority of the land on street my father grew up was purchased by my great-grandparents. So as family members needed homes, they moved there and helped with the farm.

My dad and grandpap used to pick mushrooms and grandma would use cream from the cow's milk to make cream sauce, then saute the mushrooms in butter. They would have creamed mushrooms on bread or noodles. Sometimes they would add some meat to it. When we were growing up the meatless version would be served as a special treat. Probably for the memory more than anything.

Pickled pigs feet were occasionally served with noodles for dinner. Eggs were plentiful from the flocks during warm weather, so they ate them with sausages or bacon. Fishing wasn't just for fun - it fed the family. Soups, stews, fresh fruit and veggies were served as well.

My mom is one of the youngest in her family and she remembered chicken and duck paprikash, veal goulash, roasted goose dinner, lots of eggs, fruits and vegetables.

I think they had it "right" back then. To be able to serve a meal and say it all came from your own land is a marvelous blessing, whether it is a feast or just enough to get by.

Quote:
I don't think you have been to the dollar store lately, that dollar box of crackers has gone up to $1.37, and only has 3 stacks of crackers in it. I used to buy them often since DH and my pitt like the jalapano(sp) cheese dip. I still buy them but not as often. marrie

sundance, try to find a Dollar Tree or 99 cent store. They are the only "dollar" stores I know of now where the prices are $1 or $0.99 per item. The 99 cent store was in Houston area, but we have Dollar Tree up here. Some of the grocery stores around here are adding a small section of $1 items to compete with the Dollar Tree. Just be careful, because sometimes their $1 items are less expensive on the regular shelves!

Thanks Keljonma I was not even going to respond considering I posted that comment 9 months ago (groceries have still been going up) and I only go to the dollar tree on rare occasions! I always buy them when they are the holiday shapes (snowflakes) after Christmas for usually more than half to 75%off the original price
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom