• Laser

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Mercy!!!
th.gif

Glad you were all unharmed.

Could you go over the ground rod idea again? I have set up electric fence twice, understand their role, wondered about shock risk….

@Tevyes Dad is largely accurate in the statements made regarding the fence, but to put things simply, I'm going to try to expand.

In DC wiring, you have 2 wires (or "poles") a positive and a negative. Think about a 9V battery you touch your tongue to... you're putting the positive (+) and the negative (-) together, and... well... I'm sure you know what happens - you get a little ZAP on your tongue.

Now, while I'm not recommending you try this with an electric fence (OUCH!) the principle is the same. There is a red aka "positive" wire that you surround your precious ducks with. You then take that black aka "negative" wire and connect it to a gigantic conductive rod in the ground. By slamming a rod in the ground, and connecting the negative to that rod, you've now made the entire ground a negative. When you (or an animal) goes up and touches the positive wire while standing on the negative ground it's exactly like you just touched the 9V battery with your tongue. You get a zap.

@Tevyes Dad posted a really good explanation on how the electric fence "energizer" pulses the current on the positive wire. This allows you to get a quick jolt and pull away... enough to scare anyone / anything off. There are other reasons for this pulse, but that helps you understand anyways.

More info: http://equusmagazine.com/article/eqkeepcurr354

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna be down in the single digits this weekend, but the following weekend is supposed to be above freezing.... So December 5 I am hoping to implement phase 2. The plan is to destroy a cheap chainsaw as a mini trencher so I can get a foot deep slit to put the hardware cloth in. I might do the stitching this weekend.

Gonna be down in the single digits this weekend, but the following weekend is supposed to be above freezing.... So December 5 I am hoping to implement phase 2. The plan is to destroy a cheap chainsaw as a mini trencher so I can get a foot deep slit to put the hardware cloth in. I might do the stitching this weekend.
Inspiring. I have wondered quite a bit how to get ahold of a mini trencher for some gardenscaping ideas lately…...

Inspiring. I have wondered quite a bit how to get ahold of a mini trencher for some gardenscaping ideas lately…...
There are two main differences I can see between a trencher and a chainsaw:

1. Trencher has a much bigger guard on the user side for the dirt to hit. With a chainsaw you will probably wear your dirt.
2. A trencher has hard metal knobs on a chain that aren't sharp. A chainsaw has sharp metal blades. I figure after the first 15 seconds of rock and dirt, the chainsaw will have a somewhat lighter duty version of the non-sharp knobs.

I figure if I don't amputate something, I will definitely destroy the chain and maybe be out a bar, but I doubt I will hurt the rest of the saw much.

There are two main differences I can see between a trencher and a chainsaw:

1. Trencher has a much bigger guard on the user side for the dirt to hit. With a chainsaw you will probably wear your dirt.
2. A trencher has hard metal knobs on a chain that aren't sharp. A chainsaw has sharp metal blades. I figure after the first 15 seconds of rock and dirt, the chainsaw will have a somewhat lighter duty version of the non-sharp knobs.

I figure if I don't amputate something, I will definitely destroy the chain and maybe be out a bar, but I doubt I will hurt the rest of the saw much.
I mentioned your plan to my beloved - and in the interest of preserving your hide, I decided I would share.

His first comment was, it wouldn't work here in New England. (We have very very stony soils.) He went on contemplating out loud.

The chainsaw would kick back when it hit the stone. The chain could go flying. Or the stone could hit you in the crotch at 50 mph. The more I think about it, the wiggier I feel….. (that means he's getting faint).

There's my public service announcement. I have no experience with chainsaws, myself.

Here is an actual hand trencher later in the video it shows it being used by hand...
[VIDEO]

I mentioned your plan to my beloved - and in the interest of preserving your hide, I decided I would share.

His first comment was, it wouldn't work here in New England. (We have very very stony soils.) He went on contemplating out loud.

The chainsaw would kick back when it hit the stone. The chain could go flying. Or the stone could hit you in the crotch at 50 mph. The more I think about it, the wiggier I feel….. (that means he's getting faint).

There's my public service announcement. I have no experience with chainsaws, myself.
While I understood what was going on in my head, looking at my post a day later, it might have seemed like a dismissal. It was not. I very much appreciate you valuing my hide as well as the wisdom of your beloved. Pull the trigger and go would NOT be the approach I would take. A professional hand trencher works the same way as a chainsaw although its blade is a bit different. The rotation direction is the same and in fact there is one manufacturer who offers a trenching kit for their chainsaw. The kick on the chainsaw and the risk of the chain flying wouldn't be much any different than with wood: too aggressive of a bite could lead to trouble either way. Naturally any large rocks would have to be hand dug. (Large is defined by the chainsaw/trencher) I don't think any trencher is designed to cut through rock, but up to a certain size, it can just knock them out of the way. I would guess in my soil if it isn't frozen that would be about a 1-1/2" diameter rock tops - anything bigger would probably have to be dug out (I have a pick/mattock that can move the world). Since I don't actually have a whole lot of use for a full scale chain saw, I am looking at a $40 electric with a 14" bar so I am sure it will stall before things get too crazy and if after 15 seconds it seems like the "stupid" is turned up too high, I will abort. I will also be using steel toe shoes, knee pads and a full face shield.

Back
Top Bottom