Destruction and Genesis

Laser or Shotgun ?

• Laser

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Just popped in to check this out - one thing I am most certain of - YOU really love your ducks.
love.gif
Although it is true, we do love our ducks, a lot of this effort was for the selfish reason that we could grab some time for ourselves (while not compromising their safety). For example, in the summer, if we wanted to leave to go someplace at noon and come back the next day at noon, we would need a sitter to make sure the ducks got in at night and got out in the morning. No way we could lock them in their house the whole time. We can however lock them in the secure area for say up to 48 hours if we make sure all their waterers are full and their feeders are full. Not very often, but it is nice to have that capability without putting them on the raccoon's menu.

Another advantage to this setup is that Yvonne gets home from work well after dark this time of year. Previous years she needed the "duck of the day" program to see the ducks at all during the 2 months that night falls much too early. Now when it isn't too cold, we can visit with the ducks after work inside the secure area. They don't mind if we bring treats
big_smile.png

@Tevyes Dad I don't know how I missed all of this till now but golly what an awesome set up.. I love all the hard work you put into it to keep everyone safe and be able to leave overnight and feel good knowing they are okay. You did a great job making your yard look unkept.
wink.png

My question is when are you coming here to do that for me?

@Tevyes Dad
    I don't know how I missed all of this till now but golly what an awesome set up.. I love all the hard work you put into it to keep everyone safe and be able to leave overnight and feel good knowing they are okay.  You did a great job making your yard look unkept.  ;)

My question is when are you coming here to do that for me? 

I would love to visit you again, and as i write this I'm not too far away as the duck flies. The leveling that would be required at your place would make my head spin. But you have a good setup. Your biggest problem would be feeding. We just have ducks.- mallard derivative only. You have ducks and chickens and halfway in between Muscovies and dogs and fish and geese, plus some squirrels and song birds. All of them have to eat and not eachother... That is the tough part. :gig

I would love to visit you again, and as i write this I'm not too far away as the duck flies. The leveling that would be required at your place would make my head spin. But you have a good setup. Your biggest problem would be feeding. We just have ducks.- mallard derivative only. You have ducks and chickens and halfway in between Muscovies and dogs and fish and geese, plus some squirrels and song birds. All of them have to eat and not eachother... That is the tough part.
gig.gif
PS Bring a bull dozer.
wink.png
Your so right it would be hard and actually there isn't any place I'd rather be than right here with my babies.

Except I'd love to come to Montana and visit yall too. But your all set up now so we expect to see you and Yvonne in the next year or 2.
smile.png

We're hoping to come visit you around the same time next year... Hope you don't mind if I swing over to visit my sister's family and mom for 6 days or so as long as I'm there...
gig.gif

Last edited:
We're hoping to come visit you around the same time next year... Hope you don't mind if I swing over to visit my sister's family and mom for 6 days or so as long as I'm there...
gig.gif
Oh great news please feel free to stay over night here too. But we'll let you go and visit family while your here.
wink.png

This is a bad time for predators here! There has been a fairly heavy snow cover that hasn't gone away and temps have been going negative for quite a while. That means the rodent activity is way down so there are fewer opportunities for the predators that prey on them. I am really glad we got the secure kennel up. There was a bobcat sighted across the street (They don't normally come in this far) and our local bald eagle is looking around:

Duckies aren't going to have much freedom for a while. If we have a nice day, they may have some supervised time out, but only if we are there... and possibly armed.

We have days - usually the high-traffic raptor migration days - when the ducks don't get their casual amble around the woods time - they go straight from the night pen to the day pen. I have received no complaints about that.

We have days - usually the high-traffic raptor migration days - when the ducks don't get their casual amble around the woods time - they go straight from the night pen to the day pen. I have received no complaints about that.
This winter has been bad. Usually it gets this cold, but there are some warmer days in between where rodents frolic, duckies swim and predators fill their bellies. It's been about 1-1/2 months since the last real reprieve so rodents are sleeping, ducks are grumpy and predators are hungry.

Sunday it's supposed to get up to 27F, maybe they can have a pool for a couple hours then...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom